Chapter 25

When they got back home that evening, Rosalie told everyone about Nichole's encounter with Jacob, and Emmett just about blew a gasket.

"He imprinted on her?!"

"Emmett, relax," Carlisle said. "The wolves don't have a choice on those that they imprint on, and it would explain why Jacob has been so cold to Nichole in a sense. Sometimes the wolves can sense the person that they are going to imprint on before the imprinting actually happens, and this seemed to be the case with Jacob. Nichole is one of us, which is why he felt the need to lash out and ignore her. Nichole, how do you feel about this?"

"I...I don't really know how to feel." Nichole responded honestly. "I didn't think that I would be his imprint, or anyone's, to be honest. I mean, what's going to happen? Am I just going to instantly fall in love with him or something?"

Carlisle shook his head. "No, it doesn't quite work like that. You may feel some sort of connection to him, but it won't be a love at first sight kind of thing."

"Good." Not only was Nichole still mourning the death of Tia, but Jacob had been an ass to her, and she would be damned if she fell in love with someone who treated her like that.

"Emmett, I don't think that you're going to have to worry about Jacob," Edward said with a chuckle. "Because Nichole is as pissed at him as you are."

"Just don't go punching him," Rosalie said with a smile. "Because more than likely you'll wind up hurting yourself."

"What if I kick him? Preferably down south, make sure that he doesn't have any children in the future."

"Nichole, maybe you should give him another chance," Esme suggested. "I mean, you two were good friends before he shifted."

"You mean before he learned all about vampires and decided that since I was living with vampires, that meant he should hate me? Don't take it wrong, I'm not blaming you guys, but if he can't be decent enough to at least give you guys respect, then I don't want anything to do with him."

"You may not have a choice, Nichole." Jasper piped up. "When a wolf finds their imprint, they find it extremely hard to stay away from them for longer than a day or two. If they do manage to stay away, then they are going to be extremely irritable and volatile."

Nichole groaned. "I always get the cream of the freaking crop, don't I?"

Nichole wasn't the only one who was freaking out about what had happened. Jacob wasn't an idiot, he knew what had happened, that he had imprinted on her. "There has to be some kind of mistake!" He was fuming to Sam, who was surprisingly calm for the situation that his packmate was in. "She can't be my imprint, she's one of those bloodsuckers."

"She only lives with them, Jacob. You need to calm down, you're starting to turn into Paul." While Sam wasn't the happiest either about how things turned out, he also knew that there was nothing that could be done to change it. Their ancestors had decided that Nichole was the one for Jacob. "Jacob, there's a reason that she's your imprint, and while she may be with the Cullens, she isn't a vampire herself, and Carlisle has no intentions of turning her, the only reason that he would do that would be if she was dying."

"Better to let someone die than to turn them into one of those monsters."

Sam sighed softly. He wasn't that much older than Jacob, but he still felt like he was some kind of father figure or something, and being the alpha of the pack didn't help with that, either. "Jacob, take a deep breath and calm down before you shift. There's a reason why Nichole is your imprint, and you need to find out why. Emily grounds me, that's why she's my imprint. Maybe Nichole can do the same for you. None of us are happy about this, but we're all just going to have to accept it, yourself included."

Jacob growled a bit. He knew that Sam was right, but that didn't mean that he had to be happy about it. "So what the hell do I do then?"

"Go and talk to her about everything. Explain to her that she's your imprint. She's a sensible girl, so I think that it's safe to say that she won't freak out that badly. But whatever you do Jacob, don't lash out at her. This isn't her fault."

"I know that it's not."

"Then how come you're acting like this? Jacob, she was thrown into a world of supernatural creatures when she herself has no supernatural abilities. You need to remember that when you're talking to her."

"If her brothers will even let me talk to her."

"I think that the only one you're going to have to worry about is the one who's built like a damn bear. The others have more self-control. If I were you, I would talk to Jasper first."

"Do I have to do this?" Jacob whined, causing Sam to roll his eyes. "God, you're being such a baby about this. I know that we have the pact with the Cullens, but this situation here is about to throw that out the window. No one is going to like it, but we're going to have to play nice with each other, at least until one of the Cullens breaks a rule of the pact. But they haven't done that yet. There's no telling if it's always going to be like that, but for right now, you need to man up and talk to that girl. From what I've heard, she's been through a lot, so make sure that you're gentle with her. I know that concept is hard for you to grasp, but just try."

"Fine," Jacob grumbled. "But if she smacks me, I'm blaming you."

Sam laughed a little bit. "She's human, how hard can she possibly hit you?"