Chapter 41

"What was it that you wanted to talk about?" Jasper asked as they drove along the highway. They were the last in the line of cars, Jasper occasionally glancing in the rearview mirror to make sure that they weren't being followed.

"I think you know." Nichole looked at him. "Jasper, you had to be able to tell, you can feel emotions. You know what Alice and Jared were feeling. Jared imprinted on Alice."

Jasper sighed. "I know."

"How...how do you feel about it?"

"It's a mixture of emotions. I mean, I'm happy that she found someone she's happy with, but I'm also sad that the person she's happy with isn't me. My mind keeps on going back to all of the times that she was happy with me. But those were long ago. We haven't been happy together for a while, Nichole. I don't know why, but it just didn't work out between the two of us."

"Sometimes these things just happen, Jasper. There's no rhyme or reason, it just happens. Maybe fate just decided that you two weren't meant for each other after all. You'll find someone Jasper. Someday you'll find the person that you were meant to be with."

Jasper glanced at Nichole before looking at the road again. "You always were mature for your age, Nichole. Especially about things like this."

Nichole smiled softly. "My mother would always talk to me about things like love. She wanted to make sure that I was with the person that I was destined to fall in love with. Although I don't think that she thought that person would have the ability to shapeshift into a wolf-" She cut herself off as her eye caught something in the rearview mirror. "Shit. We've got company."

Nichole quickly called Carlisle. "I just saw Aro, and it looks like he brought some friends with him."

"Just keep driving," Carlisle said. "We don't want him knowing that we saw him."

"Carlisle-"

There was a screech, and one of Aro's vampires was thrown in front of Jasper's car. Jasper reached his arm out, pressing it against Nichole as he swerved to avoid hitting the vampire, and Nichole let out a scream as the car ran into a tree, the airbags of the car blowing out.

"Nichole! Are you okay?!"

Nichole groaned in response. "I think so. Pretty sure that airbag broke something though. What the hell happened?"

"I don't know, but that vampire that was thrown in front of us is dead."

"Was it one of the wolves?"

"I don't think so, the only ones that I smell are Jacob and Jared."

Nichole took her seatbelt off, looking around, but she couldn't see anything. There was the sound of a gun going off, and another vampire went flying. Nichole watched as a woman came from seemingly out of nowhere, taking the head of the vampire and severing it from the rest of its body.

"What the hell..." Nichole whispered.

"Okay, we need to get you out of here." Jasper took his seatbelt off. "Come on, while she's distracted with Aro's friends."

Jasper helped Nichole to get out of the car, screeches of the vampires fighting the woman filling the air, and Nichole couldn't help but watch. The woman was like an assassin, dodging every single one of their attacks. The woman looked so familiar to Nichole, but she couldn't place who she was. "Jasper, I know who that woman is, I think. Her face is so familiar...."

Jacob ran up to the two. "Whoever she is, she's a vampire."

"Then why is she doing this? You wouldn't think that she would fight fellow vampires." It made no sense to Nichole. "Jasper, is she from one of the other covens?"

Jasper shook his head. "No, she's no one that I recognize."

"Whoever she is, we have to get Nichole out of here," Jacob said. He picked Nichole up. "There's a cabin in the woods that we use sometimes on our overnight patrols. No one but the wolves know about it. I'm taking her there. Use her scent to follow us there."

Jasper nodded his head. "I'm going to make sure that the others are okay, then we'll meet you there later."

"Be careful," Nichole said, and Jasper smiled at her. "We're always careful. You just focus on getting away from here." He looked at Jacob before running off to join the others.

Jacob started running into the woods. Even though he wasn't in wolf form, he was still quite fast. Nichole looked over his shoulder. "Jacob, that woman, she's following us!"

Jacob looked behind as well, and he cursed before running faster. "We have to throw her off our trail somehow."

"Wait..." Something suddenly clicked in Nichole's mind. "Jacob, you have to stop!"

"What?! But if I stop then she's going to catch us!"

"Jacob, just trust me!"

"Why the hell would we just stop! You're not making any sense!"

"Because that woman is my mother!"