𝗇𝖾𝗐𝖾𝗌𝗍 𝖺𝗍𝗍𝖺𝖼𝗁𝗆𝖾𝗇𝗍 - 𝗈𝗇𝖾

"and when you smile, the world is brighter

"and when you smile, the world is brighter. you touch my hand and i'm a king."

SUNDAY

The Overlook Hotel was now falling silent as visitors started to leave. Since winter was just around the Colorado mountains corner, the Overlook Hotel was now closing.

You lightly brushed the dust off the fireplace mantle with a feather duster, trying to keep the hotel clean for the new family that would be maintaining the residence; the Torrences. You haven't met them quite yet, since your boss, Stuart Ullman, has been showing them around. 

Stuart had only briefly explained the situation to you before quickly leaving you to your duties. All you know is that a family of three will be watching over the whole hotel during Colorado's horrid winter. 

"You've been working your butt off all morning, Y/N," a gruff voice said, a small chuckle coming after their statement.

You slowly turned around and smiled at Dick Hallorann, the head chef.

"Have you met the Torrence's, yet?" Dick asked, sliding his hands into the front pockets of his suit.

You lightly pulled at the black fleece turtle neck you wore as you shook your head, sliding the handle of the feather duster into the back pocket of your brown, straight-leg jeans.

"No, I haven't. I'll guess you have already?" you laughed lightly.

Dick only smiled and nodded his head, "I have. A very nice family, but the husband gives me some bad omen."

"Why do you say that?" you frowned. It's a bummer to hear the father is bad.

"It's probably just me, but the way he acts, seems forced," Dick said, stepping forward and standing next to you, letting the crisp heat from the fire warm him up.

You looked away from Dick and stared at the fire, watching the orange and red flames flic and spin around.

"That's a shame."

Dick snorted, "Well, his wife and son are lovely. You can tell which personality their son picked up," he joked.

You cracked a smile and looked up to Dick, "That sounds nice," you said, turning back at the fire. "I still can't believe they're going to be maintaining the hotel all winter. For only a family of three, this is a big hotel," you said, not realizing you were speaking aloud and not in your head.

Dick laughed, "That's what I thought!"

You two laughed and talked about how odd it is for only three people to watch over the hotel, but were interrupted by a booming voice.

"Oh, there she is! Our lovely cleaner, Y/N L/N," Stuart said, walking towards you with open arms, a family of three stalking behind him. 

You smiled and waved, "Hey, Stuart."