𝟟 - Don't Pretend You Missed Me. ♣️

Rantaro sighed as he swiped through image after image on social media, eyes glued to his mobile. Shuichi and Kokichi went on a holiday to Britain together and were posting about it almost daily. He'd been trying to avoid it, but Rantaro's curiosity peaked as he decided to see what the images depicted.

"What's the matter Amami?" Akamatsu asked from beside the greenette. Rantaro released another sigh as he slipped his phone back into his pocket, staring at his friends around the table as they ate their lunch.

"I miss them," Rantaro muttered, averting his gaze to the metal picnic table. He hadn't touched his food for the day, something unusual for the male. The entire month, he'd had no appetite for lunch, yet he kept bringing it to school with him out of habit, hoping that one day he'd be able to eat. "Somehow, though, I don't think they miss me..."

"Of course they miss you!" Momota shouted with a cheerful grin that rarely left his face. "They love you!"

"They haven't sent me a single message... I tried calling them but they never answer, or even try to return the call," Rantaro sighed. He felt tears welling up in his eyes, ones he refused to let escape.

"It's probably just the time difference?" Akamatsu suggested with a cheerful tone in her voice. The woman always attempted to cheer up everyone around her and she often succeeded in her mission. Rantaro couldn't help but notice the waver in her voice, almost as if she had evidence to contradict her statement.

"They could've at least texted. It's been two months," Harukawa stated in her usual emotionless demeanour.

Rantaro wiped away the lone tear that dropped down his cheek, the emotion causing him more frustration. "Man up Amami, men shouldn't cry so easily!" Momota attempted to consolidate the male, making Rantaro feel slightly better about the situation.

"Not the time Momota," Akamatsu huffed, glaring at the male as she pulled Rantaro into her arms.

"I... I don't know if I can do it anymore..." Rantaro whispered.

"Do what?" Harukawa asked, her attention peaking.

"The relationship..." Rantaro sniffed, clinging to Akamatsu like a child going to school for the first time. "They don't care about me anymore. If they did, they would've invited me to go with them, right?"

"Huh? What do you mean Amami?" Akamatsu responded, encouraging the greenette to lock eyes with her.

"Their trip to Britain... They would've invited me to go too if they cared, right? I didn't even know they were going until the day they left." Rantaro frowned at the surprised and confused expressions on his friends' faces.

"Saihara told me he invited you but you declined to go," Akamatsu muttered.

"N-No... I never knew anything about it. Neither of them told me," Rantaro sighed. "Why would Shuichi lie... He never lies..." As the four fell silent, Rantaro allowed the tears to pour, placing together pieces of a puzzle he'd attempting to hide for a year. The only noise that broke the silence between them was the chattering of others students and Rantaro's almost silent sobs.

"I'm so sorry man," Momota muttered. "I didn't realise."

Rantaro shrugged, not trusting his voice as he wiped his face with the back of his hands. Taking multiple deep breaths, he shoved his lunch back into his schoolbag and stood up, allowing his fringe to hide what he assumed were red and puffy eyes. "I'm... I'm going to class early..."

"We're coming with you, you don't need to be alone right now," Harukawa ordered. She, like Akamatsu, could comfort those around her often. However, unlike Akamatsu, Harukawa used logic to comfort others rather than emotion, something she didn't seem to experience. The only emotion anyone knew her to exhibit was anger, along with a love for her boyfriend Momota. Seeing the couple over the past two months felt painful to Rantaro for a reason he hadn't allowed himself to figure out until now.