5. The Exception

Enzo's POV

I shoot. The sound of the gunshot echoes through the dark hallway, followed by a loud thud.

I know the bullet went right through his head - I never miss.

I catch Mila in my arms as she falls unconscious from the shock. She shouldn't have been here. He would have killed Mila if I didn't kill him first.

She could have been the one dead on the floor if I hadn't been fast enough. I'm glad I saw the CCTV footage on time.

I pick her up in my arms and walk out of there. I see my bodyguards, "Boss!" they come running down, "Are you alright?" One of them asks. I glare at him as sudden anger rises in me. Their stupidity could have resulted in Mila's death. I shoot the man in the head. His dead body falls to the floor, and the other bodyguards look at it in terror. His death should serve them as a warning. "If something like this happens again, I will do the same to you," I warn

"Understood?" I ask, tilting my head to the side, still glaring at them.

"Yes, boss," one of them answers.

"Good, now fucking clean everything up." I roll my eyes before walking past them towards my room upstairs.

Once I reach my room, I carefully lay her on the bed.

Her light brown hair falls onto her face, and I feel the urge to move away the strands to look at her beautiful face. I know I should just send her home, but I can't. I just want her here a little longer.

I delicately brush away the hair and stare at the long eyelashes that adorn her closed eyelids. Behind those eyelids hide the most beautiful green eyes I've ever seen.

I touch her lower lip with my thumb and sigh, "I told you to leave, bellissima. But you decided to play detective, and here we are now."

She looks so defenseless and vulnerable, lying on my bed, oblivious to what is happening.

I stare at her further as I recall the first time I saw her dancing at Delusion. She was the first woman to steal my breath. And from that day on, I wanted her to be mine. I wanted to have her marked as my property. I wanted to please her in ways no one else did.

There's a knock on my door, and I sigh before getting up to look who it is.

I open the door, and in front of me stands Leonardo with a blank expression on his face, "I've got something," he says in a deep voice before his eyes dart to Mila sleeping. His lips curl into a smirk.

I close the door to my room and take Leo to my office, "What do you have?" I ask him, taking a seat in my chair.

Leo smugly smiles, "Information. Our imposter - Nate, was the one stealing our cocaine and selling it to Ricardo."

"Good thing both are dead now, huh?" I chuckle.

"Yeah, but Ricardo's brother is still alive. Don't you think he would seek vengeance for his brother's brutal murder?"

"Yes. But I didn't kill Ricardo. Nate did. He was afraid Ricardo would snitch on him. But I already knew about everything." I lean in my chair and fold my arms over my chest.

"But Marcel doesn't know that, does he? Everyone knows you kidnapped Ricardo, and now that he is dead, they'll think you killed him."

"Arrange a meeting with Marcel. I'll either make peace with him or make him rest in peace." I say before getting up and attempting to leave the room. "Who's the chick?" Leo asks. I look at him and spot him already staring at me, "I never saw you run that fast after seeing her on the camera in the basement. So, who is she?" He leans in the chair and annoyingly raises an eyebrow.

"A stripper that came to give me a private dance," I firmly answer. But my answer doesn't seem to satisfy him.

"I've been your best friend and right hand since our childhood. I know there is more to it."

"Right now, I don't have anything to tell you," I say and leave the room. Leo laughs.

As I open the door to my room, I see Mila on her feet, grabbing her bag. She turns around in sheer terror.

"Leaving already, tesoro?" I ask as I look into her eyes. She doesn't say a word - she is scared.

Scared of me.

"I won't tell anyone. Just-just let me leave, please." Mila takes a step back. Tears of fear form in her eyes, warning to fall. I stay leaned against the door with my back. I put my hands in the pockets of my pants, "It doesn't matter, bellissima. Everyone knows what I do, and they can't do anything about it. There is no power and no proof." I tilt my head, "And I mean no harm to you."

"You don't?" She asks in a trembling voice. I shake my head.

"You are not going to kill me or sexually assault me?"

I furrow my eyebrows, "What type of man do you think I am? And I think you've watched too many useless movies. I won't do any of the sorts. Instead, I'm sending you home."

"So you won't do anything about what I saw? And- and for not listening to you?" Mila innocently asks, sniffing. Oh, I will. But not now.

"No."

"Where is the girl now?" Leo takes a seat beside me on the bar stool. I swallow my whiskey, "I sent her home."

He shoots me a look of disappointment, "What if she opens her mouth?"

"She won't."

"How are you so sure?"

I grab a glass and pour him some whiskey before handing it to him, "Because I know. And even if she does, no one will do anything about it."

Leo shakes his head, "You never made an exception, Enzo."

"Did they dispose of the bodies?" I question, changing the topic. "Yeah," he takes another sip, and after swallowing, he asks, "What's next?"

"A firearm deal with the Russian mob. Tomorrow."

"Alright. What about that politician? He still hasn't paid his debt."

I grin, "That is why I'm sending you to him. Either come back with the money or his dead body." I lift my glass to my mouth.

Mila's POV

Finally, dressed in my nightwear, I lay down on my bed. My head hurts disgustingly bad. I've taken my medicine, but I can't seem to relax. I had a gun pointed to the back of my head. I saw a murder. And yet, I can't stop thinking about Enzo.

Why didn't he just kill me?

Why did he let me go?

And why do I think that he isn't as bad as he seems?

All these thoughts make it impossible for me to sleep, and I hate it.