13. The Watcher

The car comes to a halt, and I glance out the window. Bright lights adorn the luxurious mansion.

Breathe in, and breathe out. I know Enzo is here as well. He often gets invited to these types of parties. And usually, he is the special guest at every party.

Why am I at this party? The host, Mr. Cassano, funds Delusion. Laura was supposed to be here, but she couldn't make it. So, she sent me instead. I didn't mind - Mr. Cassano loved me.

He was a wealthy business tycoon in his forties - everyone knew him. Mr. Cassano was more than glad knowing I was attending his party.

I leave the car and adjust my hair before making my way inside.

The place is full of people - rich faces everywhere. I know everyone here - some are mobsters, some are politicians, some are business tycoons, and some are celebrities. All big names.

Chatter and classical music fill the room. There is an old wood, musky smell to the place - something I didn't expect from a black-marbled floor mansion.

"Mila, dear, I'm glad you made it," Mr. Cassano greets me with a big hug. I give him a polite smile before kissing his cheek, "Of course, I would."

"Come, I want you to meet someone special," Mr. Cassano takes my hand and leads me to the bar. Something about the words someone special makes my heart drop. It can't be Enzo, right?

Right.

"There he is!" Mr. Cassano points at a man sitting on a stool surrounded by other men. He is wearing a white tuxedo. His back is facing us. His brown hair drowned in gel and pushed back.

We make our way to him. Mr. Cassano taps on the man's shoulder, making him turn around. And my breath hitches. I know the man. I have seen him everywhere - on the TV, in newspapers, in magazines, banners. He's been the talk these past months.

"Mr. Cassano, I appreciate your invitation. Great party," The man speaks. His voice is soothing and low.

"Thank you very much. I'm glad you made it despite your busy schedule." Mr. Cassano answers. Then the guy's gray eyes land on me, and I sense a flick of curiosity in them.

"Who is this beauty?" He says, getting up from his stool and towering over me. I unconsciously flatten my green dress with sweaty palms. Why am I getting nervous all of a sudden?

"Meet Mila Santos, the diamond of Delusion," Mr. Cassano introduces me.

"Delusion? The strip club?" The man raises an eyebrow with a smirk across his lips. Jerk.

I fake a smile, "Pleasure meeting you, Mr. Evans."

"Why don't you both chat? I have to greet the other invitees," Mr. Cassano kisses my cheek before wandering off. Only Evans and I are left to chat. To be honest, I don't even know what to say to him. My first impression of him isn't a very positive one. He is a pretentious man who lives off Daddy's money and runs his hospital. Nothing special. He's just famous because he is the youngest billionaire in the city - 36 years old.

"You seem to know me," He chuckles before drinking from his glass.

I slightly chuckle, "Sebastian Evans, owner of LEvans Foundation Hospitals. It's hard to ignore you when you are all around media these days."

"But I don't know much about you, Ms. Santos." The way Sebastian looks at me feels like he is undressing me with his eyes - and I'm not too fond of it. Usually, I don't let this type of man get under my skin, but something about him is different - dangerous even.

I gulp and stare directly into his eyes, smiling, "You don't have to know about me, Mr. Evans. Now, excuse me," I turn around to leave, but his words stop me, "Ms. Santos, I want to get to know you better."

I feel him get closer to me, so close that I feel his breath on my hair and his heat on my bare back, "If you let me, that is." Sebastian whispers in my ear, making the hairs on my neck stand.

"And how so, Mr. Evans?" Why does it feel like I'm flirting with him instead of bickering? But he is doing the same. Sebastian's fingers lightly brush my back, sending an electric shock through my body. And no matter how pretentious or full of malice that man may seem, I like how his touch feels on my body. It's like some sort of challenge. Something tempting.

It's like he has his way of enchanting people, and I naively follow the tune of his flute.

"How about a dance with me? Here, now." Sebastian suggests, bringing me out of my thoughts. And as I look ahead of me, I lock eyes with the man I've been dreaming about - The man that has been begging for my attention - Enzo.

We haven't seen each other since the dance - it's been a month. Yet, he never fails to send me little gifts and letters to win me back. But let's be honest - Enzo and I have nothing. We can't be one. Yet, we also can't deny the tension and chemistry between us.

His icy eyes pierce into mine, telling me to move away from Sebastian, but I don't. I stay where I am, letting Sebastian's hand roam around my waist, guiding me to the dance floor. Enzo and I never break eye contact. His hands tightly clasped around his wine glass, his knuckles turning white. I'm surprised he's keeping his anger and jealousy well-composed.

I smirk, and for a second, I see mischief in Enzo's eyes. I know he's got something in mind.

Sebastian turns me around, making me face him. His hands slowly slide from my back to my hips. I place my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to my body. I know this move of mine takes him by surprise, but he doesn't say anything.

Our bodies move to the music slowly. His scent mixes with my perfume, and our breaths become one.

I know Enzo is glaring at us - I can feel his stare at the back of my head. But I don't do much to avoid it. Instead, I provoke him further.

"You are a better dancer than I thought, Mr. Evans," I whisper into Sebastian's ear, ensuring my lips touch his earlobe.

I feel Sebastian breathe hard - it gets every man. I smile to myself. I love having men in control - this is who I am.

While dancing, I feel another gaze on us. Also puncturing, yet not as hard as Enzo's.

I look around the place, trying to spot the watcher. And that's when my eyes land on a man looking down at us from the first floor. Dressed in a gray suit, he's maybe in his mid-fifties. His hair is gray, and his eyes are coffee-colored. Wrinkles form on his face as he smiles at me, giving me a single nod.

I don't smile back. On the contrary - I don't feel any delight seeing him here, at this party. He wasn't supposed to be here. He wasn't supposed to interfere. He promised me that.

Yet, before I can react in any way, I feel a large hand grab my arm and pull me away from Sebastian. I know it's Enzo, but I don't care about him either. My eyes are fixated on the man in the gray suit.

He wasn't supposed to be here.

***

A/N: Dear readers, I am really sorry I died on you guys. I just needed a little break from everything - but I am back, and I hope I can do justice to you all :)

Love you all, and thanks a lot <3