Interlude: July 1867.

to be in power is to protect.

a/n: please note the date, particularly the year!

The newly-crowned king thinks his mother can be absolutely terrifying when it comes to obtaining what she desires

The newly-crowned king thinks his mother can be absolutely terrifying when it comes to obtaining what she desires. But at this moment, Yoongi is infinitely grateful for her hatred of backing down, as she stands before the throng of ministers with not a bit of hesitation or fear in her eyes. He is not nearly so brave (yet).

"Despite all your arguments, I simply believe there is no need for jeonha to marry at this moment." She says it plainly, with all the authority that an empress should command. As one who has held her title for more than three decades, Queen Jeonghui is comfortable with giving orders. Especially when those orders are to protect her son.

"Daebi-mama." Minister Choi, ever one of the most boldly outspoken of the bunch, steps forward. "As I have said, having a queen to rule by jeonha's side will strengthen the people's goodwill towards us. While jeonha's removal of the Minister of Taxation was swift, the news has left many rumors that continue to unsettle the people, as they suspect further corruption within the government. Of course, there is none, but we must prove such a thing! A marriage will show a promise of future stability, and we shall have a queen consort in place again."

"Minister Choi." Yoongi can tell that his mother is fighting a scowl as the corners of her lips twitch with effort. But her voice conveys all her displeasure enough. "Am I not enough?"

The man actually takes a step back, and Yoongi doesn't blame him. She's all but baring her teeth.

"Is my support for the king not adequate enough?" She asks again, more deliberate this time, and Minister Choi seems to wilt. But the queen is evidently in no mood to entertain any sort of retort, as she declares after few pulses of silence, "we shall resume this discussion tomorrow, if you believe it necessary. For now, I believe we have more than enough tasks to complete for the rest of the day. However, I will warn you that my opinion will not be changing."

Yoongi feels like he can only take a proper breath when the room clears, and he is finally left alone with his mother. He sucks it in deep, letting the air refill his lungs. His chest always feels constricted during these tense meetings, no matter how he reminds himself he must grow accustomed to it. His body droops in the elaborate throne, and the queen smiles gently at him as she places a hand on his shoulder.

"Jeonha," she says, and while the prefix-less term so often feels improper to one who has been called the crown prince for most of his life, Yoongi can feel the affection in her tone soothe his heart. "Don't worry, my child. I know you don't wish to be married right now. Not when you are still grappling with the duties of a king."

"Thank you," he whispers, though he dares not impart the other reason for his hesitation. The one reason tucked inside his chest that always muddles his logic and lures him away from doing what he should for the country. Tempts him into being selfish when he, of all people in this court, should not be.

On a sigh of quiet understanding, the queen lowers herself down. She kneels beside the throne not in a display of submission, but of love as she grasps the hand that lies on Yoongi's lap. "I already know, jeonha. That you also have... other things on your mind."

Yoongi's eyes flash to hers as he tries to decipher just how much she knows.

"Other people," she murmurs, clarifying, with a small grin spreading across her dye-stained lips.

He doesn't know what reaction he expects from his mother. The typical one would have been outrage, at his daring to have such interest in a cheonmin's daughter. He knows this from all the lessons with the royal tutor he was forced to sit through, reiterating and reinforcing the importance of a proper blood legacy for the royal family. But Queen Jeonghui simply continues to smile in that soothing manner of hers, betraying no threat that he can discern. Still... Still, to impart a secret he thought he had kept to himself for so long...

When he speaks, Yoongi's voice is a low rasp. A whisper: "how long have you known?"

"Since the beginning."

She breaks eye contact, looking off to the side as if delving into the memories in her mind. "I've seen how she supports you. How you change with her by your side. She and her mother, my dearest friend, have always been a part of our lives, regardless of rules and ranks. But that does not mean those restrictions do not dominate the rest of our world, within the palace walls."

Yoongi swallows the painful truth with a single, tight nod.

"For now, my child, I will fight for you to remain unmarried. I will do my part, as long as I still wield power as daebi-mama. I can give you time, but you must be aware that—"

"It will be inevitable."

She squeezes his hand, her skin warm against his. "...Yes."

"Time will be enough," he murmurs. It will have to be enough.

"Good." Her other hand grips the throne grip and she slowly pushes herself to her feet, though the movement makes her stumble as if it takes much more strength than usual. Yoongi doesn't notice, as he stares gauntly in front of him at the room that will be again filled with the strong-willed ministers come tomorrow morning.

"Come," Queen Jeonghui hums. "No more thinking on things we cannot immediately find solutions for. It's time for our afternoon meal."