Chapter Eleven

Zakari's Pov

A week, its been a week and everyone basically went M.I.A. I understand they have lives of their own, but goodness gracious. 

Aaron can't say that he's been busy since we work at the same place. Being coworkers is fun if your coworker actually shows up. 

Today I'm having to work at a nightclub; I was honestly looking forward to seeing Aaron, but couldn't find him. I had just finished serving shots and mimosas, simply watching people get drunk: absolutely wasted.

In the middle of washing glasses and serving more drinks, I got a notification. I couldn't really pull out my phone until I served the people at the bar table.

After doing so, I finally pulled out my phone to see Nyeemah's name. I opened the notification to see, "Call when you can." She knew I was working, so I love her for the text, but not for the confusion it was causing me.

I waited to call her until it hit twelve since it was my break, and another bartender could actually take my spot.

"Hello?" My tone  was full of confusion since that's exactly what I was, confused. "Zakari where have you been?" She seemed frustrated. "I could ask you and everyone else the same thing." I replied in a bored tone since I'm pretty sure I was being ghosted, not them.

Let alone her.

"Well Aaron is in the hospital." 

I was speechless. I didn't know it was going to happen this early let alone now. 

"Kari?" Nyeemah asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm on my way," I hung the phone up, telling the other bartender that I needed to go.

Rushing out of the club and into my car, Nyeemah texted me which hospital Aaron was in. The entire drive to the hospital was completely silent and slow. 

I was trying to process everything that was currently happening. After some time, I arrived at the hospital and pulled into the parking garage.

I went straight to the front desk of the emergency room building, and asked the lady for directions. I then made my way to Aaron's room. 

During the walk I realized I didn't even know why Aaron was in the hospital. Matter of fact, I knew absolutely nothing. Yet I rushed here regardless of the fact.

That says a lot.

I slowly walked into Aaron's room hoping to see him with the same goofy smile on his face. Maybe even hear him laughing.

Upon entering, everyone's eyes went to me. The room was pretty empty which made sense due to the lingering virus going around. 

"Hey Kari," Nyeemah, Dominique, Malaysia, and Micaiah said in unison. "Hey," I stopped, looking around at the people in and out of the room with a frown forming on my face. "Where is Aaron's mom?" I questioned looking directly at Nyeemah.

"She's not here." Nyeemah answered hesitantly. I gradually started to become irritated which made Nyeemah walk to me. I sighed walking out of Aaron's room.

"Kari I kn—He's literally in the hospital and she still won't see him. All because he likes men! Its been three years and nobody has seen or heard from her ass since." I cut her off not wanting to hear anything. 

"Kari his dad visited earlier and so did his aunts and uncles. Just because his mom wants to have a stick up her ass, don't mean anything. You know he loves your mom, and all of us. Fuck her, okay?" Nyeemah pacified me with her words. 

I nodded, "Fuck her. He has us." I tried to make myself believe it, but I can't help, but wonder how messed up she is for that. 

Your own mother. 

"Exactly, now come comfort your best friend." She urged me into the room, next to Aaron's bed. He was awake and smiled at me. "This shit hurt like a mothafucka." He stiffed a laugh. "I bet it does," I tried to keep a goofy spirit.

The doctor came in the room with a small smile and looked at me, "Are you Zakari Jackson?" Looking back at her, I answered, "Yes I am."

"Well, Aaron here has a medium non cancerous polyp in his rectum." I scrunched my face up which made Malaysia say,"Kari he basically has a tumor in his ass." 

We all bursted into laughed at how blunt Malaysia was with her sentence. Not to mention the way she said it. The doctor chuckled a bit while shaking her head, "She's right, in simple terms that is true." 

The doctor looked at Malaysia and smiled, "You'd be great in the medical field." Malaysia seemed surprised even though she's basically the doctor in our friend group. "Hopefully blunt doctors won't be a problem," Micaiah laughed. 

I shook my head at all of them. 

"But," the doctor paused dramatically which made me become serious. 

It was the longest pause of my entire life. 

"He'll need surgery."