Chapter 17 ~ Friendship

Aurora

I slip into bed around seven in the morning as quietly as I can to not wake Greyson up. I didn't mean to spend the night there, I didn't even mean to go into his house.

But I guess we don't always get what we want. Or... what?

I've been lying here thinking about it. He helped me, he let me sleep over, and then he asked if I wanted to go to dinner. And I said yes. I guess my plan to avoid him didn't work at all.

I think about what Ryder has done to deserve my silent treatment. Nothing. He's done nothing. So maybe I'm the issue. Maybe I should get over it, and see what Ryder can offer me even if it's a friendship.

I think the only issue I would have to worry about is dad. He wouldn't be so fond of the idea of me and Ryder. Or I could be wrong. Dad talks so highly about him unlike his other assistants.

What if Ryder is really interested in me? What if dad is okay with us? What could I be for Laklyn? All these questions in my head and then I'm back to square one.

What if I ignore him? That way my brain has more free space.

But I've tried. I've tried to rid him of my mind and nothing has worked. So the only solution I can come up with is to go to dinner with him, and build up a friendship. Maybe It will be good for me. Since Greyson is leaving, I'm going to need another friend other than Gianna to keep me going.

And I adore Laklyn, he is probably my favorite human being.

Think about what you can do to help him as well.

I roll over and get out of bed. I quickly remember that Ryder doesn't have my number. As soon as I'm about to head out the door to go and tell him, my phone rings with a number that says, "Maybe: Ryder Collins"

I stood there for about five minutes. Thinking about how the heck this man got my number. It reads, "Hey, I never told you when we are going to dinner tonight, I'll pick you up at 7pm, wear comfy clothes, it's not a fancy place. Btw, You don't have a passcode, you should have one for people like me. ;)"

I find myself giggling at his last words but stop myself when I see the wink. The wink. A real wink. Maybe he didn't mean to send it. It's common to mix up that and just the regular smiley face.

But he never responded to correct himself, which gives me butterflies in my stomach.

Dinner with Ryder Collins. I think I'll be okay.

💌

I sit on my couch messing with my hands and I wait for Ruder to arrive. He's ten minutes late but I try not to think so hard about it. Maybe Laklyn is being difficult?

I'm not sure but I'm getting really anxious and I'm about ready to go over there myself. I stand up and look in the body length mirror I have. I'm wearing simple brown baggy jeans with a cream colored sweater and my vans.

My hair is in a tight ponytail and my hands are decorated with rings.

I freeze as I hear the doorbell. I get myself together and open the door quickly to see Ryder standing in front of me, wearing a light blue long sleeve shirt, paired with dark blue jeans. Laklyn is wearing comfy clothes as well.

"Hi." He speaks up first.

"Hello." My voice comes out low and squeaky due to my ranging nerves. He looks me up and down and once he gets to my face he smiles. "You look beautiful."

Beautiful. I look beautiful. I have never been called that by a guy I was seeing. To Miles I was hot, sexy, which are all... nice things to be called, but being called beautiful, and gorgeous, I feel like those have a deeper meaning.

"Thank you," I cleared my throat, "you look... handsome." I'm able to muster up a smile at this man for the first time in a hot minute.

He gives me a smile as well and he gestures to me to step out. I do so and turn around so I can lock my door. I turn around once again and see Ryder waiting for me and holding his arm out.

I stare at it for a minute, looking at all the tattoos he has going on. The muscles he is showing off not intentionally.

I take his arm finally and wrap my palm around it. We walk down some flight of stairs and once he gets to his car, he opens my door. I give him a smile and get in, fixing my clothes that don't need to be fixed.

He goes to the backseat and gets Laklyn settled in before getting in on his side and starting up the car. Instantly, music comes on, Disney music. I find myself grinning hard and when I look at Ryder, I can see the embarrassment on his face.

I look back to Laklyn who is happily moving around his seat. I look back to Ryder and when we make eye contact his lips curve up. "I promise it's not me." I let out a whole belly laugh and almost curled up in a ball.

"Sorry, I just... there's something about a grown man listening to Disney music for his kid." I let out as soon as my laughter dies down.

"And what is that?" His cocky voice comes out all husky.

"It's... adorable, attractive." Uh oh, Bold Rory coming out, I have to put her away before something happens. I look at him and see his wide tooth smile. "Attractive?" I nod my head.

"Well if I would have known that, maybe we could have been friends a while ago." I giggle as he backs up from the parking lot.