Chapter 21 ~ Movie

Ryder

I don't know what I was thinking of allowing Aurora to come into my house. While I was alone. I just grew closer to her and it makes my heart skip a beat every time I think about that hug. The way she let me hold her, and how she felt in my arms.

Gosh it felt so right. Holding her even if she was upset and let everything out. That night I went to bed angry, angry at how that man could do such a thing to an angel. She didn't deserve that in any way.

I want to be the one that treats her how she deserves. But a part of me is scared that once I let her in, something will happen and I will break down.

If I break down, so does Laklyn.

Speaking of Laklyn, I should probably go check on him. No one was available today so the coach let me keep Laklyn in his office for the day. He can't do anything, but I still need to make sure he is okay.

The kids right now are doing laps around the ice as the coach stands there with his arms crossed and burning a hole into the ice in front of him.

I walk over hesitantly and stand next to him. "Everything alright?" I ask in a lower voice so the parents don't hear. Coach just nods his head slowly and leads me to believe that something is wrong.

"What is it?" I nudged him. I have grown more comfortable with the man. He is a good dude. And if I want to date his daughter then I have to be friends with her dad.

"Fayette- my wife, she's just not feeling well. A past encounter has come up and she's not handling it well." I nod my head, either to tell him I'm listening, or to tell him that I understand if he doesn't want to talk about it.

"Well, I hope everything works out in your guys' favor." I say and he nods his head giving me a tight smile once he is facing me.

I nod back to him again and head to his office to check on Laklyn. I hear another voice that sounds too familiar. I open the door and walk in to see Aurora with Laklyn on her lap talking to him as he rubs all over her face.

She hears the door, turning to me she smiles. "Hey! I was just dropping off food for my dad. I didn't know Laklyn was here. I swear, I'm not a baby digger." I chuckle at her statement and take a seat next to her on the couch.

"I was just coming to check on him. Is he okay?" She nods her head and turns her attention back to my baby. "He is. He keeps saying dada all over again though, I think he was confused about his surroundings."

"Yeah he is not too great with new environments." I smile and look at Laklyn who doesn't seem to miss me at all because he has all his attention on the woman in front of him.

"How was your week?" She asks to fill the silence. In honesty I didn't have the guts to talk to her this entire week after what happened.

"It was good. Laklyn has been a little fussy lately, he rises to drink his milk sometimes." I shake my head.

She frowns but looks at Laklyn who is now playing with her hair. He looks so content in her arms it almost makes me jealous.

"Um I kind of have a question-" She trails off. I look at her with a raised brow indicating for her to go on. "Do you want to- come over for a movie night? You can say no! But Laklyn can come. My friend Gianna can't make it but I already have the movie rented and the food. And Greyson is working late that night." She babbles on. I find it hella adorable.

Who would say no to that?

"We will be there." I smile at her and try to find the rest of my confidence. She turns to me and smiles. "Okay."

"Okay."

💌

It's around either at night and I'm in front of Aurora's door with Laklyn in my arms. I knock on the door and a happy Aurora comes and greets us. I don't expect the side hug she gives me, but I return it, taking in her appearance.

She is wearing a light pink pajama set and some bunny socks. "Come in!" She opens the door wider for us and we step in. My eyes fo to the bunny that is hopping around and jumping in the air.

Just when I thought things couldn't get even weird with her.

"Has that always been here?" I find myself asking. She shakes in laughter and nods. "Yup, her name is Frankie." I think she catches Laklyn's attention because he points to the bunny.

I place him down on the floor and he struggles to crawl to the animal while me and Aurora watch the interaction.

Frankie gladly hops over and sniffs out Laklyn which makes him giggle. Frankie then hops onto Laklyns tiny lap and goes into a loaf position.

"Frankie hates babies." Aurora whispers. I turn to her to find her looking at me. I nod my head and smile at her as well. I take a seat on the couch and grab a blanket and put it over my legs. Aurora comes back with some snacks and she moves Laklyn in front of us where Frankie follows just so we can keep an eye on them.

Aurora starts the movie "Mamma Mia." I look over to her smirking. "Like I said, I had rented this before I came to you." She says with somewhat of an evil tone which makes it hard for me to believe her.

I shake my head and get comfortable on the couch as Aurora sits next to me. Our arms brushing against each other but we both find this position comforting.

That's when my boldness comes out and I grab her thigh, tossing it over my legs so she is on her side with one leg over me. Instead of pulling away and kicking me out like I expect her too, she cuddles into me and wraps an arm around my middle.

I let out a smile and sigh, holding her thigh tighter knowing she is comfortable.

We watch the movie for gosh knows how long before I see both of them passed out. During the movie, Laklyn crawled to us asking to be up and once he came up, he snuggled into me, in between me and Aurora.

This is what a real family feels like. I keep telling myself. Maybe it's time to let go, and grab a hold on Aurora and do my best not to let go.