The Injured Leg

Another week passed and Richard was soon called back to the army to attend to his duties there as a general.

"I'll look after everyone, don't worry." George patted his shoulder and for a fleeting second, Richard saw a grown up man ready to take on the world.

"I'm sure you will." He ruffled his eldest sons hair and moved on to the second oldest.

"You better come home safe or I'm not ever going to forgive you." Margot kissed his cheek and he pulled her into a hug.

"Not even if I bring you chocolate?"

"I'll consider it." 

He kissed the top of her head and then crouched down to the twins.

"You better not give Ms.Annabel any trouble while I'm gone."

"Of course not!" Sam saluted and Tam followed. He kissed both of their cheeks and stood back up to meet with Margot who was being held up by Annabel.

She handed him his daughter and stepped back so they could have their moment.

He hugged her tight to his body and kissed her head several times.

"I don't know how long I'll be gone, so you better not grow up too fast." He kissed her cheek and she laughed and held onto his cheeks and smoshed them together. He smiled and handed her back. The last time they called him back, it was for half a year to help settle some things after the Second World War. He really didn't want to be gone for that long.

He stood expectantly in front of Annabel and raised a brow when she looked at him with confusion.

"What? Are you not going to say goodbye to your boss?"

"Goodbyes are forever." She looked him in the eyes and tried to focus on them, and not how good he looked in his uniform.

"Then I'll see you later." He was about to lean in but stopped himself once he realised what he was going to do.

"I'll see you. Come back in one piece though."

"I'll try."

*

George and Maggie talked in hushed voices together in the library and immediately stopped when they noticed their nanny and younger siblings walk in.

"What's all the secrecy for?" Annabel teased and walked to the young kids section to read them a book. The twins took off to find one.

"We'll see you at dinner." Maggie got up, pulled her brother with her and rushed out of the library.

"What do you think those two are planning?" She asked Margot who was trying her hardest to climb onto a chair.

"Party." She said and managed to pull herself up, but was stuck with facing the splat of the chair. Annabel picked her up and turned her around.

"You think? They'd plan a party as soon as their papa isn't home? I don't think so."

The twins ran back to her with the book they had chosen and she began to read to them until it was time for dinner.

*

"We need to talk to you." Maggie said as soon as Annabel stepped out of the kids room after tucking them in for bed after dinner.

She looked between the two siblings and their serious, stoic expressions.

They sat in their fathers office. They had Annabel sit on the couch and them on the two one seaters facing her.

"This all seems pretty serious."