[ Miraak/Reader ]

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ Blood of the Covenant ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

ᵖˡᵃᵗᵒⁿᶦᶜ ʳᵉˡᵃᵗᶦᵒⁿˢʰᶦᵖ.
ʷᵃʳⁿᶦⁿᵍ: ᵐᵉⁿᵗᶦᵒⁿˢ ᵒᶠ ˢᵉˡᶠ ʰᵃʳᵐ
ᶦⁿ ᵗʰᶦˢ, ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵉᵃᵈᵉʳ ᶦˢ ᵃ ᵏᶦᵈ/ᵗᵉᵉⁿ

A mother's calming embrace was unheard of in this place. You learned that too late.

The adults of Riften called her kind, even gave her that word as a title to bear, yet there was no single cell in Grelod's body that exercised even the minimum amount of kindness. They'd just call her that because she was the only one willing to take care of you, the unfortunate, the unwanted, children born or placed in sorrow that no one wanted to see, to feel anything else than pity for. And so they turned a blind eye to the bruises on your skin and the screaming at night, or how thin most of you were, the hollowness of your eyes.

You were for a while the newest addition, having been brought into the orphanage after your parents were killed and you were left alone, with no close family to go to. Being the new kid didn't save you, however; you often thought it made it even worse, with Grelod constantly insulting and berating you to no end. You and the kids found refuge in each other, but that wasn't enough sometimes, and most of you developed harmful habits. Aenar and Imwyn turned to skooma, Vander drank his days away and Mym grew a life of crime. You, only had the lines of daggers against your skin. For long, you wished you could wash it all away, and be guarded in your mom's songs and your father's strong arms.

Now, in the dark of midnight, you wished you could just go to sleep.

...

...

"Psst. Wake up"

You struggled to open your eyes. You really didn't want to.

"Hey. Wake the fuck up, [Y/N]"

A long, rather soft slap to the face finally stirred you up from your slumber. It was still dark, that cold dark around three a.m. where the world is silent and still feels like a dream.

Looking to your side, where you felt the weight of a body pressing on the sheer covers if your bed, you found Mym's wide, dark eyes staring back at you, with the spark of mischief they always held.

"Do you want to leave?" She whispered, the biggest grin adorning her freckled face. You bolted up at this, she held you by your tunic. "Shh don't freak out. I've got someone willing to get us out of Riften, we'd just have to work for her"

You truly didn't need more convincing. It would be just nice to leave this hellhole once and for all. So you did, grabbing the two tunics that you owned, yet leaving your dagger behind.

Smuggling yourselves out of Riften was dangerous, yet satisfying. Both of you followed a man in a strange leathery amor in and through the very entrails of the city, down inside the Ratway. From there you crossed strange roots and pathways you didn't know what purpose they could have even been built for, and finally got to an actual sewer that you had to cross by walking on water first, and later by swimming. You both ended up breathless, feeling gross and exhausted yet free. The carriage that Mym told you was supposed to wait for you was there, a good two miles away from Riften.