29. When friends become enemies

Ben

The days passed by as if cars on a highway, never ending. Each day was duller than the one before. I contemplated leaving once or twice, leaving this cursed house and cruel life, but that would mean leaving her behind. I could never do that. She needed me now more then ever, even if she wanted nothing to do with me.

Whoever hurt her was still out there. The mere thought that the police could possibly consider me a suspect made my stomach churn. I now had a police patrol car by my house day and night. I was glad that they were taking the matter seriously but infuriated that they were wasting time investigating me.

I had to do something. I couldn't just stay put and wait. I explored every option, except for one. The one thing I was dreading to do. But I was desperate and I had run out of options.

Reluctantly, I googled the number to Clark's Research Hospital. After several attempts and various misinformation, I finally got through to Clark's secretary. Clark Reed was a hard man to reach.

"Dr Reed's office, how can I help you?". I sighed in relief after finally getting through.

"Hi, I need to speak to Clark Reed. It's an urgent matter".

"I'm sorry Sir, Dr Reed is in a meeting right now, may I leave a message?".

"Look, I need to speak to him now. It's important, it can't wait".

I heard her smack her lips together and sip what I could only imagine was flavourles coffee with one too many names.

"Dr Reed has important meetings to get to, which also cannot wait. Either you leave a message or sched-

"Tell hin it's Ben Martinez", I cut her off. "He'll want to speak to me".

I hope

I heard her sigh and assumed she was rolling her eyes by now. It didn't matter, it did the trick when she told me to hold on.

I wanted to meet him in person, but with the police on my trail, I knew it wouldn't help my case. My only hope was that the so called 'spectacular Dr Reed' , as some would say, was man enough to speak to me.

Five minutes went by and I was still on hold. I was about to hang up when the man himself spoke.

"Dr Martinez", he said calmly. I envied his ability to keep his voice calm and collected. I on the other hand, was all over the place.

"Dr Reed", I said.

"How can I help you?".

I swallowed and started pacing around the house. "Look, Clark, Lisa's not here anymore, but I'm sure you already know that. With everything going on, I just need to make sure she's safe".

I heard him chuckle on the phone. Why the f*** was he laughing?

"What is this Ben? You think she's with me? That's why you called?".

"I don't care if she's with you. I just need to know that she's safe".

"Really", he began. "I think you do care. Otherwise, what is the point of this phonecall?"

He was trying to get under my skin. It was obvious. And it was working.

Planting doubts in my head .... Had she run to him right after she was with me? Did she sleep with that same night? Did she love him?

"You know Clark, you're overly confident considering we made love a few hours before she ran to you", I spat out.

Silence.

I had got him there. "What's the matter Clark", I began, "cat caught your tongue?".

"She isn't with me", he stated.

I stopped pacing and felt my blood start to rush to my feet and my heart beat faster. If she wasn't with Clark, then where the hell was she?

"Look, I don't know what's going on. But if it eases your mind, we've been in contact and I'm meeting her later on tonight at a wedding", he said. "I don't know where she is, but I'm sure she's fine."

I sat down on one of the stools by the kitchen counter and stared at the sea. She hadn't picked up any of my calls, yet she was in contact with Clark the entire time. There was no longer any doubt in my mind, I was fighting a lost battle.

"Hello? Ben?"

I struggled to find the words. It hurt too much. More than the first time.

"She chose you Clark. She chose you", I repeated, trying to comprehend the words myself.

"It's not about who she chose. It's about who's best for her and frankly, I don't think either of us are".

____________________________________
Lydia

I packed the last few frames, cautiously avoing the pictures within them. Pictures which were supposed to be reflective of a happy couple, a happy family, but were now a distant thought.

Tom had offered me the house, but I couldn't stay here. Every second spent in this house was a reminder of what could have been and what went wrong. I related to Ben, and respected him in a way. He managed to stay in the very house which reminded him everyday of his failed future. I couldn't do that, I wouldn't.

As I packed the remaining sentimental items, I came across a picture of me, Tom, Ben and Lisa in Barbados. It was Tom's dream destination, ever since he was a kid, he's always dreamt of going there. It was supposed to be a romatic getaway, just me and him. But of course, he'd invited them with us. He'd do anything just to make sure she was there.

Tom may have thought I was blind, but I couldn't see clearer. The lingering looks, the enthusiasm for double dates or any other bloody reason for her to be around. I thought it would die down after college, but it only got worse. For every step me and Tom took in our relationship, she was always there. If not physically present, than a lingering thought inside Tom's head.

After her divorce with Ben, I thought I'd finally had him all to myself. But I was wrong. She had left the city, but not far enough for Tom to keep his grids off her. It didn't help that he was always out and about with poor f*cking Ben.

What about me? Nobody cared about what I was going through. I was married to a person who was in love with someone else! But I didn't get any pity. None at all.

All I wanted ... all I ever intended to do was to scare her off a little bit. Just enough for her to finally leave the city once and for all. I didn't think it would get too far,  let alone lead it to being a potential homicide case! Hiring someone from the streets to rattle her was a poor mistake from my end. But I couldn't risk having them trace him back to me. Besides homeless people were prefect at disappearing without leaving tracks. No one knew who he was anyway.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and smirked when I saw the caller ID.

"Lisa, where are you? We've been worried sick", I asked, trying to demonstrate genuine concern.

"I'm an hour away from town. Look Lyd, alot of stuff has happened recently. Can I come over? I could really use a friend right now", she pleaded.

Perfect timing Lisa.

I glanced at the gun which I kept in my purse for protection. "Of course,  you know I'm always here for you Lis".

____________________________________