7. Conflict of interest

Ben

I was currently cuffed to a chair with the person holding the key, sitting just opposite me. Apparently, I wasn't trusted enough to stay calm after my little outburst earlier. This only aggravated my anger. Why were they babysitting me when they should be looking for that bastard? If they find him before I do, maybe he'll have a chance to live.

"They won't release you if you keep scowling at them", said Lydia, who was currently sitting besides me. She had arrived a few minutes after I was handcuffed. I suspected Tom had called her.

My eyes stayed on the two police officers in front of me. "I will kill him".

"I'm counting on it", she simply said.

We stayed in silence for another hour. The cops finally released me. They figured I had worn myself out, which I had. The only update we had on Lisa, was that she was conscious for a few minutes, before dozing off again.

The truth was, I didn't know how to handle this situation. This whole time, anger had consumed me, but now, I was too tired too be angry. I didn't know where to go from here. How was I supposed to fix this? How would I make it go away?

"She's awake again". Addison's voice brought me back to reality. "She's being interviewed by the police as we speak". She sighed and sat down next to Lydia. "I don't know much. All I know is that she's going to need help. She can't live alone anymore, at least until they find him".

"She'll stay with me", I blurted out.

"Like hell she will", Lydia scoffed as she turned to face me. "She'll stay with me and Tom. We have more than enough space".

I knew that Lydia had Lisa's best interests at heart, but I also knew that there was no way I would ever have my mind at ease if she stayed with anyone else but me.

"I have enough space for me, Lisa, you, Tom and twenty other people. She's staying with me".

"What makes you think she would want to stay with you? After everything you've done", she said with furrowed eyebrows.

Of course , she was right. Lisa wouldn't want to stay with me, but maybe after some persuading, she would at least consider the idea.

"Alright thats enough. I'm her doctor here. I get to decide who she stays with".

The room fell silent. I was about to re-start the conversation before Tom beat me to it.

"What about her parents?", he said, hands clasped together.

"Yes", Addison began. "I was quite surprised to see that you were listed as her contact in emergency situations. After what happened I mean."

Did the whole hospital know about me and Lisa? It sure felt like it. How was I ... how were we supposed to move forward with everyone mentioning it all the time.

I hadn't realised that my hands were clenched into fists until Tom eyed me down.

Burying my head in my hands, I tried to block everyone out. I could hear Lydia resuming the argument, but I couldn't be bothered to argue with her.

"Her parents aren't in the picture", I suddenly blurted out. "Look, we all want what's best for her and we all clearly have different opionions on what that is, but, now correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still listed as her emegency contact number and she still shares my surname -"

"So?", Lydia interrupted.

"So, in the eyes of the hospital, she's still my wife. I'm entitled to make all her medical decisions."

The room fell silent once again. If looks could kill, I would have been face down on the ground already thanks to Lydia.

"That's not how it works, right Addison?", Lydia questioned.

What Addison said next caused Lydia to be handcuffed to the chair.