𝐈. 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐬

𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑 curled around her face in thin wisps

𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑 curled around her face in thin wisps. Even though she brushed them aside and tucked them behind her ears, they returned less than a moment later so she inevitably gave up.

She was well-acquainted with the forest surrounding her; however, she never actually knew where she was, no matter how long she wandered. Something had changed though.

The hairs on the back of her neck rose and goosebumps began to tingle around her arms. A gentle breeze brushed past her ear and whispered a warning.

She immediately turned her head and faced a pair of sapphire eyes. They stared at her and her emerald eyes did not dare look away. Slowly, her feet slid back so that she didn't scare the creature in front of her and force it to attack.

A twig snapped under her foot. She gasped, but quickly covered her mouth to conceal the sound. The creature's ear twitched and its giant form lumbered forward, remaining just out of reach of the light.

Whatever little light was present slowly disappeared and she glanced up just in time to see the clouds overhead completely block out the moon. She then focused on her surroundings but the creature was gone. She might have been relieved if the wolves hadn't started to howl.

Even though she couldn't see them, she could hear their breath panting nearby. She turned and the snow underfoot crunched as she made an attempt to sprint away.

She could hear them gaining, but she refused to look over her shoulder. She'd succeeded too until the ice beneath her cracked and she slipped. The cold water shot up her leg and soaked the hem of her dress quicker than she could process. Moreover, the added weight began to drag her down.

Panic surged into her chest as the waters surrounded her upper thighs while her fingers frantically tried to grasp a firm surface. She continued to slip. One glance over her shoulder was enough to prove how dire her circumstances were as even the wolves didn't dare follow her any longer. However, they remained by the lake's edge in case she did manage to survive.

Just when she thought she was going to sink beneath the surface, a hand was extended and clutched hers. She held on for dear life and her knuckles grew paler from the strength of her grip.

Once free from her watery grave, she was pulled close against her savior's warm body. She could feel their breath against the top of her head, but she couldn't bring herself to look up at their face.

Her teeth quietly chattered and she shuddered as the gusts of wind blew harder. Her savior pulled her closer before wrapping a cloak around her shoulders.

Slowly she looked up and met his sapphire eyes. Eyes that she almost swore that she'd seen before. However, she knew it had to be her eyes playing tricks on her. She had every intention of studying him this time or at the very least thanking him for saving her life, but she wasn't ever given the chance.

"Il est temps de se réveiller, mon petit ange."

Her eyes flashed open and she immediately sat up, practically smacking her head against her mother's. Her breathing was heavy as she tried to collect her thoughts. It had all been a dream, one she'd experienced at least a dozen times, but it felt real each time.

Her mother placed her hands on her shoulders and gently forced her to look her in the eyes. "Breathe, mon ange."

She nodded her head and slowly took a deep breath, exhaling once her mother began to count. Once calm, she averted her eyes. "Sorry, Maman."

"Was it that dream again, Celine?"

Celine gently nodded her head. Her mother gently stroked her fingers through her hair. The girl was hesitant at first, but eventually explained what she had seen. "I was in the forest again, running from the wolves... I fell through the ice and was starting to drown, but he was there—"

"Ah," her mother chuckled gently as if she understood, "votre Prince Charmant."

Celine rolled her eyes and pushed her mother away before tossing back her blankets. She rose and walked over to her closet, but continued the conversation. "Oui, but he's not my Prince Charming, Maman. For all I know, he might not even be a prince."

"Do remember that it was just a dream," her mother reminded her.

"But it felt much realer than anything I've ever experienced before," Celine protested, "it's like we have some sort of connection."

"Wake up, mon ange." Her mother stood and walked to the doorway, pausing briefly to finish her suggestion, "Come back to reality."

Celine sighed and nodded her head, agreeing to leave her dreams in her head. Satisfied, her mother left the room and allowed her daughter to change.

It didn't take long to put on her pale beige dress, nor to add the paint-stained smock overtop. As she walked down the stairs, her mother cast a single glance in her direction, looking up from the stove just long enough to sigh.

"Must you put that on?"

"You'd prefer I stained my dress?" Celine countered.

"You have a way of doing so anyway," her mother protested as she set a plate of breakfast on the table. "Most don't view the apron as a suitable garment of apparel to stroll about the village wearing."

"The village?" Celine raised an eyebrow. "I'd planned to go out to the meadows this afternoon."

"I'm sure you'll have time for that later," he mother reassured her, "but I need your help with some errands in the village this morning."

Although it was the last place she wanted to be, she agreed. It was her mother after all, how could she refuse?