𝐗𝐗𝐕. 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐒𝐀𝐓 in silence for ten minutes before she actually acknowledged his presence beside her on the balcony

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐒𝐀𝐓 in silence for ten minutes before she actually acknowledged his presence beside her on the balcony. Celine took a deep breath, but her chest quivered as she exhaled. He gave her a concerned look, but it was clear she wasn't ready to face what they'd just learned. At least he didn't think she was.

"I'm sorry," she apologized, tears streaming down her face. "I'm so sorry..."

He took her hands in his and lifted her chin so that he could look into her eyes. "You have nothing to be sorry for. You haven't done anything wrong, quite the opposite in fact."

"But the curse—"

"Was cast by your mother," Adam interrupted, quickly adding, "and it was my father that made the decree that started the witch hunts. We are not our parents. We cannot change the past. All we can do is look to the future."

His voice was calming and provided the comfort she needed. Without warning, she wrapped her arms around him, embracing him in a tender hug. "When did you become so wise?"

He chuckled under his breath, hiding the warmth creeping into his face. "I suppose you have that effect on people."

Celine smiled, taking her seat back on the balcony. "You dance well."

"It's been years," he sheepishly admitted, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'd almost forgotten the feeling."

"I'd have never known," Celine replied with a playful smile. "On the other hand, this was my first dance."

"How'd you learn?" Adam asked, pleasantly surprised. "You dance like a professional."

"My father taught me," Celine replied, slowly realizing that with her past revealed, she was suddenly able to remember things that had previously been hidden. A reminiscent smile pleasantly rested on her face. "I used to step on his toes a lot."

"You must miss him..."

Celine looked toward the ground before meeting Adam's gaze. "It's hard to miss someone you can't remember, but now... yes, I miss him."

A comfortable silence followed. Adam gently tugged at the cravat around his neck. He'd realized that a better opportunity might never present itself and if he waited just a second longer, he might never get to tell her how he felt. He could do this. Bold. Daring.

"It's foolish, I suppose, for a creature like me to hope..." He paused as she looked at him curiously. He gulped, quickly losing courage. "...that one day he might earn your affection."

A surprised look crossed her face and a light blush painted her cheeks as she looked out toward the horizon. "I don't know."

"Really?" Hope surged in his chest. "Celine... are you happy here with me?"

Celine slowly nodded her head. "I... I think I feel at home here more than anywhere else in the world, but..."

"But what?" Adam asked with concern.