𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐥

𝐈𝐓 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 like her heart stopped the second his eyes closed

𝐈𝐓 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 like her heart stopped the second his eyes closed. She'd just gotten him back, she couldn't lose him now.

Tears streamed down the sides of her face as she cradled his head. She closed her eyes tight and buried her face into his chest, whispering a distant wish. "Please, come back to me."

She gasped and took a step back as the emotional pain she felt turned physical. She clutched a hand to her chest, noticing the bright green glow coming from within. Said glow spread through her veins and contrasted the black shade of her arms and hands.

She could feel the power that had previously been locked away with her magic course through her veins. Although she had no idea what she was doing, instinct took over. She pressed her hands against his hands once more and his chest glowed with the contact.

She gasped and pulled her hands away for a brief second, terrified by the feeling of her own life draining away. However, she didn't let her doubt linger for long. She was willing to give everything for him.

She pressed her hands against his wound and tilted her chin toward the sky as an attempt to conceal the pain from her thoughts. Instead, she focused on the pain she'd feel if she truly lost him forever.

She could feel his heart beating, but it was weak. He wouldn't survive if she stopped now, but if she kept going, she would be the one failing to survive. It felt like it should've been an easy choice, and she didn't back down, but she also wasn't ready to die without living... but then she thought of the past few months. She might not have traveled the world, but her time with Adam had been an adventure to say the least. Not every moment was pleasant, but she wouldn't change a single one for all the time in the world.

A single tear slipped down the side of her face, creating another streak beside those dried from earlier. She watched as his eyelashes fluttered as he gained consciousness, but felt as her own grew heavier.

Her hands slipped from his chest. Her own body weight felt immovable as she laid against his chest, feeling the slow rise and listening to the faint sound of his heart. Relief only came when his hand wrapped around her, pulling her closer as he tried to sit up.

"Celine?" His voice sounded dry, not because he'd been dead for long, but as if he'd been shouting for hours on end after she'd left... which was ultimately the truth. Although confused, acquiring more questions with each passing second, he didn't ask any of them. Instead, he looked the girl over, noticing that the black shade had spread down to her bare legs and up into the left side of her face. Whatever glimpse of pale skin was left appeared ashen and the emerald hue of her eyes had lost the glisten.

Panic mounted his chest as he slowly realized the consequences of the events that had happened. He'd been shot, more than once, lethally. There was no way he should have still been alive. But as he pushed the fur from his chest away from the wounds, only a pair of light scars remained that proved the truth. Even those had started to heal though.