𝐗𝐕𝐈. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐉𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐲 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍'𝐒 𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐒 peeked through the thick velvet curtains

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍'𝐒 𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐒 peeked through the thick velvet curtains. Celine slowly stirred as those rays landed on her face as the sun rose higher in the sky. She yawned and stretched. The amount of rest she achieved was surprising. But after the initial nightmares had passed, she'd slept like a baby.

She pushed the satin sheets and thick comforter back then stood, avoiding the slippers that had been laid out at her bedside. The gesture was appreciated, but she didn't intend to take advantage of any more "hospitality" offered.

She found that her dress from the previous day had been washed, dried, and set against a chair in the corner simply waiting to be worn again. She dressed quickly and quietly before tiptoeing over to the door as if walking on glass.

The door creaked as it opened and she winced, glancing over her shoulder. She sighed with relief to see that the wardrobe remained asleep. She stepped outside the room and pulled the door closed.

"Bonjour, mademoiselle!"

"Gah!" Celine released a short, startled shout as she pressed her back against the door. She placed a hand to her chest to still her beating heart and took a deep breath as the candelabra offered her a sheepish smile.

"My apologies, mademoiselle," Lumiere apologized, "I didn't mean to startle you."

"So not all of yesterday was a dream..." Celine muttered under her breath, failing to hide her look of disappointment.

"Eh, I'm afraid not." The candelabra rubbed the back of his neck. He quickly brightened though. "Might I offer you some breakfast?"

Celine fervently shook her head and looked around as if afraid he'd wake the entire castle with the aid of another musical number. "No, no. That's alright. I should be on my way anyway."

"Could I not tempt the mademoiselle to extend her stay?" Lumiere asked, a hint of desperation shining in his eyes.

Celine raised an eyebrow. A slight tugging at the strings of her heart made her consider his offer, but she shook her head and abandoned that thought just as quickly.

"I don't think you can," Celine honestly replied.

She grabbed her cloak from the coat hanger; however, she had to cover her mouth to mute the startled yelp that escaped as the coat hanger bowed a silent 'adieu'.

"Enchanted castle," Celine reminded herself, "Just about everything is alive."

Lumiere sighed, but nodded his head as if he understood. "Well, the castle doors are always open for you, mademoiselle. Feel free to return whenever you like."

Celine scoffed. "I'm not so sure the master would agree."

"The master may be a little bit course around the edges—"

"A little?"

"—but... somewhere inside there's a prince just waiting to be set free."

"If that's the case I think I've met enough princes and captains of the guard for a lifetime," Celine retorted, throwing her cloak over her shoulders.