twenty

"where did sapnap go last night? i joined quackity's call like right after he left, i guess." george said as he sat in a discord call with dream.

"i don't know. i went to his room to ask him something last night and he wasn't there. i figured he stayed with august."

"ugh. please tell me they didn't do anything nasty in my bed."

"i don't think so but we can't be too sure, gogy." dream teased.

"dream!" nick yelled from the living room.

"i think they're about to leave. i'll call you back later." dream said as he quickly hung up.

he walked into the living room to see nick coming in front putting the last of hadden's bags in his car. meanwhile, hadden was sat on the couch with patches in her lap, saying her goodbyes to the cat.

"you heading to the airport?"

"yeah, we're heading out." she stood, still holding the cat with one arm and extending the other for the tall boy to lean down and hug her.

august was thankful for the big brother she had found in her relationship with dream. she knew he would always be there for her and protect her.

"you've got to come back as soon as george gets here, if not sooner."

"i definitely plan on being back soon."

"okay, we're ready." nick said as he walked back in from loading up the last bag.

hadden said her last goodbye to dream, telling herself she'd see him soon, before following nick out the door. it felt very out of body to be leaving their house. even though she hadn't been there very long, she didn't want to think about returning to her every day life back home.

the drive to the airport went by too quick for hadden's liking. the whole drive there nick had his hand in her's, resting on her thigh. he occasionally glanced at her with a sympathetic smile that told her he was just as sad as he was with her departure.

as they entered the airport, the two were sure to wear their masks and hoods to ensure as much privacy as possible in their goodbyes. nick carried all of her bags besides her rolling suitcase that she carried. hadden's heart broke as she recognized each step they took as being closer and closer to their separation.

"i'm gonna come see you soon." nick said with his eyes on the security line entrance.

"swear?"

"swear. i've been too spoiled getting this much time with you. i don't think i'll last long." despite the fact that he was wearing a mask, it was still evident that nick scrunched his nose as he joked.

they had made it as far as they could before they would have to split ways.

"you gonna be okay? getting home and everything?"

"yeah, my parents are picking me up once i land," hadden glanced around, making sure there wasn't a fan nearby who had recognized them yet before she quickly wrapped her arms around nick's torso and squeezed him tight. "i'm gonna miss you, nicky."

"i'm gonna miss you too, haddy. it won't be long." he quickly pulled down his mask to place a small kiss on the top of her head. "i don't want you to have to rush to your gate."

hadden nodded, knowing she needed to get going but didn't want to.

"let me know as soon as you land and we'll get dates written down for me to come visit." nick said quietly.

the two stood and stared at each other. it was almost as if they both thought this was the last time they would see each other, so they simultaneously took a moment to admire being in each others presence. nick reached a hand up and unhooked one of the ears of hadden's mask before doing the same for his own. the big grin on his face couldn't help but cause her to smile.

she didn't dare take a deep breath, because this moment felt fragile. she found herself making wishes that he would close the space between them as if she was about to blow out the candles on a birthday cake.

they did move closer, but not close enough before nick interrupted the silence.

"i-i'll see you soon, hadden." he quickly hugged her one more time.

"bye nick." she responded, a bit hurt that he didn't make the move, and a bit disappointed that she didn't.

hadden quietly made her way through security and to her gate, wondering if she had maybe done something wrong. and then she wondering if maybe she was looking too much into something that wasn't there.

she arrived at her gate and sat down to pass by the 20 minutes she had until boarding. when she opened her phone the first notification she saw was letting her know that nick had tagged her in a post on twitter

sapnap | @ sapnap
my best friend is heading back home but we had the best time. see you soon @ augusttweets

     dream | @ dream      best houseguest ever

     dream | @ dream
     best houseguest ever

     user1 | @ user1
     august is already leaving:(

     user2 | @ user2
     this is very couple

     august | @ augusttweets
     see you soon nicky

          user3 | @ user3
          oh my heart