Chapter 68 - True Love

Y/N's POV

"Congratulations on your graduation, y/n." Lizzie clinks her glass with mine. "To you, my darling."

I grin, taking a sip out of my glass, my body filled with joy. "Thank you, Lizzie."

"And the chance to not live in the shadows anymore." Aubrey raises her glass, giving us a wink. "To both of you, guys."

"I'm so proud of you." Lizzie whispers, pressing a light kiss against my lips. "You did such a good job."

She leans back, but I hold her close by the waist, chasing her lips again. Her lips taste of champagne and strawberries. I melt into her touch, entirely forgetting where we are and who is standing right opposite of us.

Aubrey clicks her tongue, breaking us out of our bubble. "Okay, you two lovebirds, nothing more than that in my house anymore. I don't want to disinfect my hallway closet again."

I press my lips together, awkwardly shifting my weight from one foot to the other. Lizzie sighs, turning around to face her friend with a sly smile.

"I will thankfully take your bedroom instead." She grins, pulling me closer by the waist. "Besides, can't I show my love to my girlfriend whenever I want to? It's not like that's all we're doing."

Aubrey raises a brow, suppressing a laugh. "Sure."

"Okay, moving on.. What are your plans now, y/n? Are you going to pursue your dream about becoming an artist? I'm still waiting for you to show me some of your work."

Not that topic again. If I ever did something wrong in my life, it was the moment I came up with this awful lie.

"Oh, you're so very funny, Aubrey." Lizzie rolls her eyes.

"I know."

I smile, taking a sip of my champagne. "I don't really know yet. I'd love to work at a law firm, that's why I studied it. But I think that beforehand I want to travel a bit. See the world."

The thought about diving right in to the next chapter of my life, finding a job in a firm, sends a cold shudder down my spine.

"After graduating from high school, I directly started with college, not having time to experience any of it." I explain, shrugging my shoulders. "It doesn't have to be really long, it's just nice to get a small break from life."

Aubrey nods, giving me a reassuring smile. "Well, you definitely deserve it. Take all the time you need, there's nobody rushing you."

But I'm rushing myself. That's the problem.

"Yeah, you're right." I mutter, even though deep down there's still that feeling about not being entirely true to myself. "I'm just glad that it's now over, I couldn't have lasted a semester longer."

"Thankfully there was a nice professor keeping your hopes up." Aubrey jokes, wiggling her brows, as Lizzie groans theatrically and rushes forward.

"You're dead."

With a laugh, Aubrey jumps to the side before Lizzie could hit her against the shoulder. I can't hold back my own fit of giggles, cheeks hurting at how wide my smile is.

The sight before me is just too funny, the blonde resembling an angry kitten as Aubrey seems utterly unimpressed by her reaction.

Aubrey clicks her tongue, eying her best friend with mischief eyes. "So aggressive, Miss. You might have to get your temper checked, it was just an innocent comment. Or did you feel addressed?"

Lizzie narrows her eyes, not knowing what to respond to that. I reach out for her hand, pulling her backwards, as I'm afraid about what she could do if Aubrey played with her nerves any longer.