Chapter II

"Susan sends her apologies her child has a terrible case of the flu so she stayed home to nurse him

"Susan sends her apologies her child has a terrible case of the flu so she stayed home to nurse him. Even if you can't relate, I'm sure you understand. " Theresa said griping her hand in what one would mistake as pity or sympathy, but Victoria knew it was an intentional jab at her childless state.

"Victoria it's so good to see you. " Margaret said pulling her in for a hug. She was already exhausted and her cheeks hurt from smiling.

She led them into the house and they looked around, admiring the minimal upgrades she made.

"Are there these new ornaments?" Theresa asked looking around the house.

"Is that a new painting?" Margaret asked at the same time.

"Yes, and yes. " She responded, "just a few gifts from Charlie." She adds.

"Such a sweet man, if only he was around more often. " Theresa said, making eye contact with Margaret.

"It's really a pity dear. " Margaret responds mockingly.

After making some small talk about house decor, Mwansa comes to tell them the table is set and they make their way to the patio. The table is lined with cutlery and fine china. Scones, muffins, jams, bonbons and other sweet treats have been served for the tea party, where they ate and chatted lightly.

"You must never trust a Nigro, Michael got robbed just last week by his own servant. "

"Not poor Michael, he's nothing but a gentleman. These folks don't deserve any kindness. "

"That's what I'm trying to teach our dear Vicky, it's only a matter of time before your servants wreck havoc. "

"I respect my workers and that's why they respect me, I don't need to use fear or cruelty. Earned respect is better than forced loyalty." Victoria defends.

"Dear, we're just looking out for you, no need to get bitter. "

Victoria opens her mouth to say something but she decides to close it. Knowing that any attempt to reason with them will be in vain.

After, dragging through the tea party Victoria is more than glad to see her so-called friends off.

"Please send our regards to Charlie." Theresa waved as they got into the vehicle. She stood waving politely from the porch until the gate close. Then she slumped down onto the chair and released a heavy sigh of relief.

○●○●○

Victoria sat at the kitchen table nibbling on a biscuit as Mwansa cleaned after the tea party.

"I saw him yesterday. " She squealed unable to contain her excitement.

"Oh, but he's so tall and has eyes darker than midnight itself." She was gushing.

"Need I remind you that you're a married woman Lady Vick?" Mwansa teased.

The mention of her husband left a sour taste in her mouth. He was supposed to come home weeks ago but wrote to her instead that there were some urgent matters to address.

"I'm as good as widow dear. " She responds.

"I don't mean to sour your mood madame, I was only teasing."

"I know, it's just... there isn't a marriage between Charlie and me anymore." She starts, "Sure on paper we are married but in a realistic sense, we aren't! I can't remember the last time he performed his marital rights let alone saw me."

"Oh, so that's what this is about? Is the missus lonely?" She asks, wiggling her eyebrows in a teasing manner, to which she responds with an eye roll. Once Mwansa is done, Victoria escorts her to the gate where Mutale is waiting for her.

"You should come and live with us; you can move into the servants' quarters." Vicky is saying.

"Thank you for your kindness, lady Victoria, but I'll have to decline your offer. "

Victoria's breath hitches when she sees her crush. It's the man she bumped into at church, the one she's been fantasising about to her servant and friend. She's taken aback when her friend runs into the man's arms and he envelopes her in a warm embrace. Mwansa excitedly drags him towards where Victoria had frozen in her tracks.

Victoria's mind was racing with a whirlwind of thoughts. How did Mwansa know him? Was this her lover? A pang of fear and guilt pulled at Victoria's chest. Her thoughts were interrupted by Mwansa's voice.

"Vicky this is my brother..." She starts before switching to her mother tongue.

The words take a long moment to register in her brain before a wave of relief washes over her. She has to crane he neck slightly upwards to look at the tall figure of the man in front of her.

His eyes land on hers and Victoria is ready to combust.

His eyes sweep downwards drinking at her appearance.

His eyes leave a burning trail as they travel down her body and Vick feels the heat rise up her neck in a blush. "Is nice to meet you. "His deep voice sends a shiver through her.

"The pleasure is all mine," she says with a polite curtsey.

His eyes glimmer with surprise and amusement at her gesture. "We should get going." She

She stares longingly as they walk off. When Mutale looks back, she abruptly turns to go back inside. Butterflies flap in her belly and her cheeks blush from getting caught staring.

 Butterflies flap in her belly and her cheeks blush from getting caught staring