Chapter X

They host a small private burial for Mutale, Father Philip refuses to host mass for him because of Charlie's influence in the church

They host a small private burial for Mutale, Father Philip refuses to host mass for him because of Charlie's influence in the church. However,  he still makes it to the burial to pay his last respects to his friend, worker and parishioner. The sky is dull and grey much like their mood, none the less they gather at the cemetery to put Mutale to rest and say their final goodbyes.

"Despite the circumstances, Mutale was a hard worker. He was one of the most skilful and talented landscapers I know. May his soul rest in eternal peace and my prayer is that God in heaven forgives him for his sins down here on Earth. " Father Philip finishes off his with the sign of the cross before placing a bunch of flowers on Mutale's grave.

"These words written on your headstone aren't enough to describe what a good son you were, I couldn't have asked for better." His mother said bidding her goodbyes to her only son. She knelt down to place the flowers on his grave. She sobbed uncontrollably until her friend came to help her up, but it took a few more people to get her away.

Victoria was the last one to pay her respects. Placing one foot after the other mechanically, her black dress blew furiously in the wind. The sky threatened to break into a storm. "This feels unreal, just weeks ago we were planning our whole lives. We threw caution to the wind and gave it our all. I hope you know that I would follow you anywhere in this world and beyond. So, even in the afterlife, I hope we're together." She placed her flowers among everyone else's. The flowers bring back the memories of the hours he spent tenderly tending to the gardens at the parish and in her gardens. A painful smile crosses her face as she realises that everything reminds her of him, from the air she was breathing to the bright petals that adorned his resting place.

They all make their way out of the cemetery and head to Victoria's house to share encouragement with the two grieving women and some tea. Eventually, the guests depart, leaving Victoria alone with Mutale's mother.

"The last conversation we had was an argument," Mutale's mother starts. "We separated on a bad note, all his life he was such an obedient boy. When we fought he would wait it out and then come apologise to me, he didn't care who was right." She narrates.

"He told me to tell you he was sorry," Lady Vicky says, her voice hoarse from all the crying she's done over the last few days.

A moment of silence passes between the two grieving women. 

"You should come with me to the Copperbelt. My sister's house is nothing like this mansion, but at least you will be close to your daughter."

"It'll be safer for her if Charlie doesn't know where she is, and that means I shouldn't either," Victoria responds sniffling. "When do you leave?" she asks.

"Tomorrow morning." comes the response.

Victoria goes to her room and picks up a few toys and more baby clothes, she throws them in a backpack and joins Mutale's mother once again, presenting the bag to her. "These are some things I couldn't pack the first time around, please take them for her," Victoria explains.

"You never gave her a name." Mutale's mother points out.

"Mutale and I never settled the matter, but I guess it's only fitting to name her after her father." She says with a weak smile.

"I should get going." Mutale's mother says getting up, carrying the backpack.

"Let me see you out." Victoria stands to lead the way.

At the door, Victoria is taken aback when Mutale's mother wraps her hand around her and pulls her in for a hug. She was convinced she had no tears left to cry until that moment, a fresh stream of tears rolls down her cheeks.

○●○●○

She hadn't seen Charlie since he left her in a pool of Mutale's blood in the middle of the road. She sits on her knees in the garden zoned out and tears threaten to escape her eyes. The blooming flowers reminded her of him, their beautiful fragrance lingering in the air like the sweet memories they shared. Her hand subconsciously goes to her now flat belly and her mind wonders about her child.

The gates open and her head snaps around to see who it is. Three cars pull up in the driveway and before they can park, her blood boils. Margret, Theresa and Susan step out of their vehicles, they walk up to her fans and parasols in hand. She grits her teeth in annoyance at the mere sight of them.

"Our condolences, we heard you lost your lover." Theresa starts, pulling a frown.

"And your child," Margaret adds.

"May her soul rest in peace," Susan continues.

"Get. Out." Victoria spits out. The women are taken aback by her tone, too stunned to respond.

"Did I stutter?" Victoria continues. "Get! Out!" She repeats.

"Vicky we're here to mourn with you."

"We're your friends," Theresa adds stretching her hand out to touch her shoulder but Victoria shoves her hand away.

"Don't you dare!" Victoria warns.

"We-" Susan starts but Victoria cuts her off. "Shut up!" She yells. "You're no friends of mine, all you do is come here to gloat gossip and put me down to yourselves feel better about your shitty lives." She goes on. The three women gasp at her outburst.

"Yeah, it hurts to hear it, right?" Vicky asks. "I've tolerated you long enough and I've had enough of your rubbish!" She continues. "I never want to see you on my property again. You traitors!" She yells.

Victoria continues to yell at them as they make their way to their cars in shame. Calling them out on all the rude comments they passed about her. When the gates are closed once again, she releases a relieved huff.

 When the gates are closed once again, she releases a relieved huff