Chapter V

Over the weeks that follow, the rain pours down relentlessly

Over the weeks that follow, the rain pours down relentlessly. Mutale still insists on walking his sister to and from work. So during the days, he's with the other servants and the servants' quarters and sometimes manages to sneak into the house to spend time with her. It became an occasional habit of his to spend the night if it was raining too heavily. Victoria didn't want him walking around in the cold rain because of his asthma, she claimed the last thing that would benefit him is catching a cold that could easily be avoided. 

One fateful evening she heard the raving of a car engine, followed by heavy footsteps on the porch before the door is thrown open.

"Honey! I'm home!" Charlie calls as he takes out his cigar and puffs out a cloud of smoke.

"Charlie?" She asks in shock her eyes bulging out of their sockets.

"I missed you too, come here." He invites opening up his arms for an embrace.

She glances back towards the kitchen where Mutale is carrying two freshly brewed mugs of tea. She keeps her eyes on him as she hears Mutale's soft footsteps approach before the door leading to the kitchen opens and closes. A long moment of awkward silence passes but she doesn't turn back to look at Mutale. At that moment Victoria wished the ground beneath her feet would open up and swallow her.

"Babe... there's a Nigro in our Livingroom." Charles points out confused.

"Ummm a-actually..." she stutters, "I-I asked him to stay over." She mutters.

"Of course, you did." He says, taking a drag from his cigar and blowing it in her face.

"You're not mad?" She asks trying not to choke on the smoke.

"Dear, I know you've always had a soft spot for...animals." He says throwing Mutale a nasty look.

"I asked him-"

"Get out!" Charlie barks at Mutale, fist clenching.

Mutale clenches his jaw and walks out without saying a word. He marches angrily through the rain fists clenched, and anger courses through his veins. The cool rain comes down on him harshly making it impossible for him to see more than a few steps away.

At the mansion, Victoria stands stiffly in Charlie's arms trying to read his mood. His body is relaxed so she takes this as a cue to release the tension in her own muscles. As soon as she relaxes against him, the wind is knocked out of her lungs and her back collides with a hard surface. Charlie curls his fingers around her neck tight enough to make her lose orientation.

He releases her neck enough for her to breathe again before forcing his lips on hers. She brings her hands up to his chest and tries to push him back but he responds by deepening the kiss.

"I missed you so so much." He whispers to her breaking the kiss momentarily to whisper in her ear. He trails sloppy kisses on her neck. He stops abruptly and locks his cold blue eyes with hers. "Don't you miss me?" He asks.