Chapter VII

"I'm always tired and I'm always hungry," Victoria complains to Mwansa as they walk in the back garden

"You still need to take your walks Lady Vicky, doctor's orders." She insists.

"Where is your lover boy?" He hasn't shown his face around here today." Mwansa asks trying to change the topic.

"He's probably at the parish or doing some other work, I'm not sure. Why?" She responds.

"Let's hope he'll be here before I knock off." She sighs.

"Can I ask you a question?" Victoria asks her friend.

"Anything."

"Why does your brother walk you home?" Victoria asks. Mwansa stops in her tracks, coming to a halt a few steps behind Victoria. Victoria turns worriedly to read her triggered response.

"What's wrong Mwansa? Did I say something wrong?" She asks in concern.

"No, it's not that, I just haven't spoken about it in a while." She says, her body still tense.

"I'm sorry for asking, I didn't mean to offend you," Victoria says, putting a hand on her shoulder assumingly.

"No, you didn't offend me." She responds.  She takes a seat on the swing and Victoria follows suit. "You don't have to say anything if you don't want to," Victoria assures placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"I was walking home from work one evening.  There was a group of officers in a police van nearby. They were drinking and having some fun when they saw me pass. They started making comments about my body in an inappropriate manner. I tried to ignore them but one of them came after me.

*flashback*

"Can't you hear me talking to you girl?" He said, pulling from behind and spinning me in the process. 

"Sorry, sir." She answered meekly.

"That's more like it." His voice was softer. His hand comes up to caress the side of her face while she stood as still as a statue. His hand travels lower and rests on her chest, kneading roughly. She tried to take a step back but he pulls her against him roughly. Her heart rate picks up as he continues to feel her up.

He says stuff to her but her body has tuned out all her other senses so she cannot comprehend what he's saying. His touch is repulsive and that's all she can focus on. Tears run down her cheeks hot and fast. She opens her mouth to scream but she cannot find her voice. 

She went home that night with her clothes torn and ripped in some places. She cried to her mother unable to form a coherent sentence but her mother understood her unspoken cries. When they went to the police the next day they were thrown out without a proper hearing. 

*end of flashback*

"From that day, my mother instructed my brother to walk me home because I was too afraid to go to work on my own. I would hear his footsteps whenever I walked alone in that area. Sometimes I would hear his voice, but they were just in my head." She explains her traumatic experience.