Part 12

It would be months after the encounter with Remus Lupin that Petunia would finally interact with another wizard. It came in the form of Severus Snape appearing at her doorstep after she had returned after dropping the children off at school for the day. She was shocked the see the wizard standing in front of her, still dressed in his wizarding robes. He had just returned from a semester teaching at Hogwarts. "I don't hear from you in months and you just appear out of thin air." She mocks glaring at the man.

Severus sighed. He knew he was in the wrong, he just didn't know how to approach the woman after their sexual encounter. "I'm sorry Petunia." He says, knowing it wasn't enough for her to forgive him. "I come with a letter directly from Dumbledore. He insisted you read this letter promptly." He explains before handing an envelope over to the Muggle.

"Come inside." She instructs the man, she would argue with him in the comfort of her home once she had read through what the crazy old fool had to say this time. Was it another insult that she didn't belong in their world? She was trying her best to raise Harry and prepare him to enter the wizarding world with the understanding that Dudley nor George would be like him. They would part ways when Harry was away at Hogwarts and Dudley would continue to be poisoned against Petunia's new method of kindness to those in their household.

Petunia hastily opened the letter, watching the wizard take a seat at the dining table, being polite and waiting for her to finish reading the letter. He had no idea why Dumbledore was writing to Petunia, perhaps it was instructions to prepare Harry for attending Hogwarts in three short years. He was unsure as to why he had to be the one to deliver the message when Petunia wasn't opposed to the Owl Delivery service.

Dear Petunia Evans,
I am under the impression you would find this communication confusing, as we have not exchanged a letter for a few decades now. I can assure you that Harry is perfectly safe in your care and I do hope he will be ready for his time at Hogwarts. I'm sure a member of staff will be in communication with you closer to the time for his admission.
This letter is to explain an anomaly that the Ministry has been alerted about regarding your son, George Lucas Evans. It has been indicated that he contains ties to our world with magical bloodlines running through him. I do not want to alarm you about this news as I understand there was a separation in your marriage but perhaps this is a conversation you can discuss with Mr Dursley. I know his opinion on our world and I wouldn't like to upset him with the news that your child may have ties to our world.
If anything out of the ordinary has occurred with your son, such as outbursts of magic please don't hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
Professor Dumbledore.

"So what news does my boss have to discuss?" Snape wondered out loud as Petunia quietly folds the parchment in her hands.

She silently took a seat at the table next to Severus. Her face was pale, which concerned the wizard. "My son George is on the Ministry's register for children with magical bloodlines." She replies in a small voice. "So he isn't Vernon's child." Admitting the fact that she had cheated made her thoughts return to the confusing state she found herself in a dimly lit hotel room after a night of drinking with a mysterious face that she couldn't remember. As fate had it, the mysterious man happened to be a wizard.

Snape didn't know what to say. There were no words spoken that could help solve this situation. "There are spells-"

Petunia cut off any statement that Snape would suggest regarding magic. "There is a chance he could be non-magical." She defends herself, she knew how dangerous the wizarding world was. She had lost her sister to the fate of a dark wizard, she was wondering if there was an alternative way that Harry could remain in the Muggle world and receive lessons from a local wizard to teach him enough to protect himself. Perhaps she should now be considering the same for George if he did possess powers. Or look at international schooling options to keep them from the darkness that still lingers after all these years.

Severus took Petunia's hand, rubbing his own over it to calm her down. She was deep in thought for different outcomes for the decisions she makes for the children in her care. "There is a positive to this situation." She admits. "George isn't Vernon's son." The times that George had spent screaming as he's buckled into Vernon's car when it was required for the children to stay at her former home in London, finally made sense to her. He had never been a fussy infant until it came to the exchange of handing him to the cruel man Petunia seemed she couldn't escape.

"I'm glad you're looking to a positive in this situation." Snape comments. "You don't wish to find the identity of the child's father, to inform him?"

Petunia shook her head. "A one-night stand isn't going to want to suddenly step up to become a parent to a two-year-old." She admits sadly.

"I'll be there to help you any way I can." Severus offers. He knew how difficult it was navigating the magical world for Muggles, it would be stressful once Harry returned to that world to attend Hogwarts. The media would have a frenzy to learn of his return.

"What is the rate for private wizard tutors?" Petunia asked seriously making Severus laugh.