Part 39

It had been weeks since Petunia's funeral. The Evans siblings had been in mourning. They'd seen their mother off with dignity, but they hadn't really enjoyed it. It was all too sudden, her death came out of nowhere, and now she would never come back. But the presence of their mother's secrets wasn't done with playing a part in their different lives. Even with the distance between the five of them.

The first communication would be sent to Beckham.

After settling into Hogwarts, Beckham set about rediscovering the beauty of the Hogwarts grounds. He spent hours walking around, admiring the school's architecture and history. Sometimes he would stay in his dormitory for long periods of time just staring at the ceiling or out the window. He didn't mind that he was alone most of the day since he had befriended many other students who were also keeping their rooms to themselves. That was how many Ravenclaw students functioned.

One afternoon he was studying in the outside courtyard, it was a breezy Autumn day. The weather was pleasant with only a slight chill in the air. While he was studying, he noticed an owl flying in his direction with a letter in hand. Not wanting to interrupt his study session, he waited until the owl landed before picking up the letter. It was addressed to him, which he had found odd. Since his siblings wouldn't bother to communicate with him via owl. He opened it expecting some sort of joke but instead saw his mother's handwriting. He began reading her letter, with curiosity.

Dear Beckham,
Hello, my darling boy.
By now it has been numerous weeks since I left this earth. Yet there were still numerous words still needed to be spoken to you. Before you continue with this letter, you must understand this was kept from you for your protection due to the dangers of the war that raged just years ago. It was the very reason why we sought asylum in Australia.
You have always been an inquisitive young boy, you have asked many questions about the world around you. That included the mystery surrounding your father. I have never provided you with much of an answer, besides he was never interested in knowing you or your sister. The truth is, I ran before he could know that you and Millie were born. The timing when the pair of you were born was before the set events of the war would change the events of the wizarding world and if the truth had been exposed to the world you would've been targeted. Your biological father was labelled as a Death Eater, a spy for those that sought to end Harry's life. So if they had seen such a close connection to him, I cringe at the horrible fate you would've faced.
Now you're curious about the identity of this man, I expected this. I think now is the time that you take some time to hate me for keeping this for so long from you, I am truly sorry. But please remember that this was done for your protection.
His name was Severus Snape. A professor at the time you attended Hogwarts, he was once a close friend of mine.
I know this will be a shock. Please remember I love you and take all the time you need to overcome this news.
Your mother,
Petunia Evans.

The shock of the name Severus Snape sprawled against the page, made Beckham pale even more. This was something he had never expected to learn, he had accepted when he was younger that he didn't need the presence of a father in his life. Beckham had been happy with the circumstances of his family and he wasn't interested in learning the truth of his origin. Yet, who he thought he was was the opposite of what he had anticipated.

The Slytherin students were still known as the resident bullies of Hogwarts castle after it had been rebuilt. A larger boy from that house saw the sight of Beckham reading a letter in the courtyard of the school, he looked dumbfounded while holding the piece of paper in his hand. "Aw Evans didn't know you receive love letters from your mummy." Friends of the bully laugh along with the joke as he smirks at the boy who looked up at him with his blue eyes. Beckham was annoyed he had been targeted by bullies at an early pace of the school year and knowing a tragic secret his mother had kept from him had just sent him over the edge. He knew these people would not leave him alone until they have hurt him or threatened him.