Chapter 5

Uriel’s POV:

“Your Highness, I’m already at my limit…”

“…The same goes for me.”

Two months after the commotion in the cafeteria, my aides, Thaddeus and Ezekiel, vented their frustration.

I knew what they were referring to. Honestly, I shared the same sentiment.

“Each day, Sylvia’s gaze becomes even colder… It’s truly a difficult sight. I can’t stand it. I can’t stand not being able to spend time with her…”

“The same goes for Seraphina. After all, I addressed Lady Dunning using her first name right in front of Seraphina. What if she were to annul our engagement?”

“Ezekiel, are you worried about that, too?”

“Thaddeus, as well…”

Haaa…

How I envied my two aides, who sighed heavily. Unfortunately, in the case of Emmeline, the issue started long ago.

I was subtly aware of it. I was aware that there was a clear difference between my feelings and hers. Nevertheless, I had hoped that if we were to get married and were to spend a long time together, she’d eventually fall in love with me.

“Your Highness has it difficult, as well. According to the report, Lady Arkwright seems to have been heavily oppressed.”

“Lady Dunning acted like the victim, to the point that the church acknowledges that ridiculous woman as a saint.”

“How’s Emmeline dealing with it?”

“I regretted that she had to be entangled in this mess. As for her attitude, she’s truly patient and fair. What a role model.”

“Regardless of which, Lady Dunning keeps distorting the truth. As a result, Lady Arkwright has to face a storm of profanities every day. Those were a bunch of abusive words no lady should ever hear. I truly pity her.”

“I see.”

The case in the cafeteria was also being investigated. For that woman to declare that I was in love with her… What was more, that I hated Emmeline? That was simply outrageous. Ever since the day we first met, I have always loved Emmeline.

The six-year-old Emmeline, brought by the chancellor, was a very adorable girl. Her honey, strawberry blonde hair was fluffy and sweet—her misty, mercury, topaz eyes. Depending on the light intensity, her iridescent eyes would shine in blue, green, yellow, or pink. They were stunning and mysterious, to the point that I was captivated by them. I didn’t know of any other jewels that were so beautiful.

When she cried in secret due to the harshness of the queen’s education, I invited her to my room. Back then, I embraced her, telling her she was allowed to stop if it was too complicated. She shook her little head every time, saying she’d do her best for me. I couldn’t stand it anymore and fell for that gaze of hers, which was sparkling with tears.

I wished that she’d only cry in front of me.

I so wanted to imprison every single drop of her moist, glittering tears.

Ever since then, I have suffered from a strong desire for monopoly. The feelings were similar to a hunger most dire.

To alleviate my dark feelings, I’d always invite her to my room after she was finished with the education for the day. Every time she wept in front of me, my helpless thirst, albeit temporarily, was satiated.

When did Emmeline stop crying?

When did she start to draw a line from me?

…What would Emmeline do if she knew I still have that distorted desire for exclusivity? That it’s getting difficult to control?