Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty: [Extra 3.6] The Struggle of Katrina Dunning

(Part VI)

I still couldn’t figure out why he was willing to accompany me to the church.

After exclaiming that outrageous line, I was prepared to say goodbye to him. However, after a few beats of silence, Ralph agreed. Then, he also added that he couldn’t stay for long.

I’m so happy.

What should I do?

Does he not hate me after all?

I wondered if he thought that it’d be okay to spend time with me a bit longer than necessary.

Then, if I do my best from here, will I get to meet him again?

While I was thrilled inside the carriage, we arrived at the orphanage. Before I was adopted into an aristocratic family, I used to live there along with many other children. Most of them had either lost or were forsaken by their parents.

I was well-informed of the day-to-day schedule of the orphanage. The priest and the sister would teach the children how to read and write in the morning. By the afternoon, the children would be helping with the house chores and the fieldwork in the hospital.

“Oh, it’s older sister!”

“Welcome back!”

Upon seeing me, the small children taking care of the fields rushed towards us. By the way, I last visited them three days ago.

“Won’t you stay today? Will you be gone again?”

“Come on, don’t be like that. Older sister can no longer stay here. She’s no longer a commoner or an orphan, remember?”

“…I can’t understand difficult things. Are you saying that she can’t come anymore?”

“That’s not true at all. I can come every day and stay for many days.”

After I said so, the oldest girl, who was looking after the younger children, beamed.

“Re… Really?! But, if older sister came to the orphanage, won’t the scary uncle who adopted you get angry?”

“It’s alright. He can no longer complain because older sister knows about his secret.”

“Then, can you stay today? Tomorrow? And the day after tomorrow?”

“Of course! I’m sorry for making you lonely, Shani. Even though a child your age should still be pampered, you did your best to care for the younger children. Everyone… I’m home!!!”

Immediately, Shani’s dark brown eyes grew tearful. Then, she burst into tears.

Uwaaah!!!”

The younger children were stunned by the fact that the usually mature Shani, who had been taking care of them until now, was crying.

“There, there, everything is alright, now, Shani.”

As I hugged and caressed Shani’s head, the younger children also began to cry. It was as if I had lit some kind of fuse.

“Now, now, everyone. You must’ve been surprised. It’s alright~”

The scene where multiple children cry was a daily occurrence at the orphanage. Therefore, inevitably, the role was decided. The older children were tasked with comforting the younger ones. I knew because I grew up that way. Thus, as I grew older, I began to take care of the others. I learned a lot from the older children, while the younger ones also taught me a lot.