Chapter 9

“Your Highness the Crown Prince, why don’t we make a deal?”

Baroness Katrina Dunning, flirtatious and saccharine sweet no more, uttered.

The first snowfall also occurred on the same day. The graduation party was only a week away.

______________________________________

Since His Highness would be graduating that year, the party would be held at the Royal Palace. Considering the start of the social season, which was that month, a grand party would be held.

Gorgeous, glittering chandeliers. Golden decorations that’d adorn the entire ceiling. The ladies and gentlemen would be donning dazzling clothes suitable for a marvelous banquet.

Perhaps, the graduation party would be as extraordinary as the rumors.

The Arkwright Family, consisting of my parents, my brother, and his fiancée, would also be in attendance.

I heard that they postponed my brother’s wedding until after my graduation. Upon hearing that, I felt sorry for my sister-in-law. In consideration of my student life, the couple made sure to keep their relationship a secret. After all, if a new family member were brought into the mansion, I’d surely be disheartened.

I was ashamed to admit that my brother’s prediction was correct. After all, considering that my sister-in-law would become the new mistress of the house, I wasn’t in a position to take precedence over her. Thus, as my brother had feared, I’d probably be withdrawn.

But, don’t get me wrong.

I had an excellent relationship with my sister-in-law. However, I wouldn’t be able to spend time with her as I used to comfortably. In the future, the servants also had to prioritize my sister-in-law over me. Despite how trivial it sounded, if there were too many mistakes in the priority, it’d eventually lead to conflict.

…I don’t want any discord! No way!

Because of that mindset, I’d surely be cooped up in my room. As a result, it’d seem as if I’m avoiding my sister-in-law. Eventually, it’d lead to an actual discord.

Although I felt guilty about the two, who had taken care of me, I was also full of gratitude.

“…”

With such a thought in mind, I escaped from reality.

I pictured their grand wedding ceremony. Then, the two would be bestowed with an heir. Thus, in a few years, while putting a hand on my cheek, I’d remark to my sister-in-law, “Today, the Arkwright Family is safe, too.”

…Alright, how did I get into this?

At the venue where His and Her Majesty, the aristocrats, the graduates, and church executives gathered, Sylvia and Serafine stood in front of me for some reason. Before that, His Highness and his aides—Franklin and Griffiths—were also present. Katrina was there, as well.

Before me, there were also some gentlemen and church members. They stood there after being summoned by His Highness. After His Highness had read the documents he received from Franklin, the aristocrats turned pale. The church members, on the other hand, showed a bitter expression.

Apparently, the documents were the church’s hidden logs. They detailed the church’s cash flow, such as the sources of funds and expenses for their dubious work. It was said that the church would train a group of children to become full-fledged assassins. The church had built up enormous wealth by receiving requests to assassinate dignitaries.

Oh my, how terrifying…!

Not to mention, my name also came up as one of the assassination targets. Apparently, they sent assassins many times!