Epilogue

The documentary finally ends and I switch the channel. A soap opera shows up but I'm not interested, neither in sports. I settle upon a movie channel playing a horror movie that I recognize.

As I lay comfortably on the couch, eating some snacks and enjoying my evening lazing around, I check the wall clock above the T.V.

6:45. He'll be here any minute now.

I groan. I'm really not in the mood to be nagged.

My phone suddenly starts ringing and I sigh in relief that it's not Kyle. Picking it up from the coffee table, I answer it.

"Sup, Nick" I answer as I stuff a Cheeto in my mouth.

"Hester! Have you seen the news!?" He asks quickly.

"No? Why? What happened?" I ask him. It's then that I hear the sound of the apartment door opening.

"Stop watching creepy things for once in your life and switch to 'go news' " He says and hangs up. Geez, just tell me already.

"I'm home! And why am I not surprised to find this place like a pigsty" Kyle says as he puts his bag on the shelf and begins picking up my trash while ranting on about my lifestyle.

I pay him no heed as I search for the news channel on the T.V.

"Are you listening? Hester! I asked how the job hunt is going. You said you'd find it today for sure" he says, walking up to me and taking out something that was stuck on my pink braid.

"Yeah...uh...I'm still working on it. Kyle, can you please give me a second." I tell him as I finally find what I was looking for.

"-ternoon, near 2 pm, Lisa Gillian,18 years old, studying in Sky brooks high school was arrested for the first-degree murder of Irma Hawkins. Also, yesterday the police received a 911 emergency call from her which led them to a scene that can only be described as 'disturbing'. Police officials say there were dead people everywhere on the crime site looking, I quote "as if the life had been sucked out of them" end quote. Further intel reveals that they were members of a child trafficking gang"

"Hester. We need to talk. Switch it off. Clearly, this living arrangement isn't working. I know we're friends and all but we both must be doing our parts. I can't have you leeching-" he interrupts but I stop him.

"For goodness sake, kyle! FREEZE!" I yell and wave my hand towards him.

My fingernails and eyes glow bright blue as his body stiffens. He stands there, like a statue, in a weird pose.

I continue watching the news. It seems that girl, Lisa, went on quite an adventure to rescue those kids. Alone at that. Intriguing. Not surprised that Helen Parker was involved. That woman always seemed way too nice to me.

But what IS interesting, is the fact that Lisa claims that some ghosts killed the gang members and that she can see them too. I don't know know if this is her feigning insanity or if she's actually insane.

Or...if she's telling the truth.

I call Nick, up on my phone and wait for him to pick it up.

"So? Did you see it?" He asks abruptly.

"Is it true? Her being able to see ghosts or is it a bluff?" I ask him as I look back at Kyle's stiff body paused in mid-sentence.

"It's true. Ava confirmed it. Says she can see a sea-green aura around her or something."

I look back at the screen where she's shown again. Hand-cuffed, dead eyes and head down low.

Will she be of any use?

I get up. Brush the crumbs off my clothes and walk towards the entrance door.

I'll crash at Nicks's now. I'll call Ian later to take care of things here with kyle. I look back at him standing in the middle of the room, facing the couch.

Hmm...I'll let him stay like that for a while.

"So what's the plan?" I ask Nick as I step out of the door and close it behind me.