Part 6

After that incident with the ghost girl, I've been really depressed. If only I could forget it all.

"You haven't eaten for hours," says Alex as I try to finish my assignment.

"Don't feel like it, "I say without looking at him. I know he won't leave with this excuse. Then to annoy me he sits on my desk and places his feet on top of my work.

"Stop it. I'm not in the mood for this," I say sternly.

"What's wrong with you. Ever since we came back you've been all doom and gloom. If somethings bugging you, just tell me, your BFF " he says.

I roll my eyes. Ignoring him I get up and leave the room. He starts following me.

"Don't follow me. I'm going to the bathroom " I say and he sighs and goes back to my room.

In the bathroom, I wash my face and look at myself in the mirror. I do look worn out and dark circles are forming under my eyes. It's been 3 days and tomorrow is Tuesday. The day the van will arrive. That redhead will be there too and I know what she and Alex will say.

After all...I can't hide it forever.

I close the faucet and leave. Grabbing an apple from the kitchen I head back to my room.

He's just sitting there staring right out the window at the stary night. Picture perfect. He always has this charismatic aura around him and the lights from the streets on the window are breathtaking. He notices me staring and smirks. I blush and look away.

"Feeling better ? " he says.

"I guess," I say and get back down to work.

"Look. I promise I won't judge you so tell me what's wrong " he persists.

That's easier said than done. And...I have to admit, he's like a friend. Telling him will ruin how things are right now. That's it then. I'm already ready to take this secret with me to the grave. I'll just be done with this problem and make Alex go away before I get too attached to him being around me.

"Is it about something that happened with you in middle school? " Alex says suddenly which causes a chill in my spine.

My blood froze and I felt like I'd been caught red-handed doing something illegal. I try to stay composed but my hands start to tremble. As expected, he notices it and comes towards me.

"You used to keep an old photo of you and another girl, in your bedside table drawer. After we came back 3 days ago, when I wasn't around, you disposed of it. I didn't think much of it but....it is about that right ? " he says standing next to my chair.

I stay silent and keep my poker face on. He's surprisingly observant.

"Fine. Fine. If you don't wanna talk about it then it's ok. I'll wait. Just cheer up " he says and leaves the room.

After he's gone I prepare for bed. Goosebumps are still on my skin. Shit. I never should have agreed to help him. Biggest mistake of my life. What was I thinking!? Save lives? Seriously? Me? Who am I kidding!?

Deep down I know why I agreed.....this is redemption.

I close my eyes....and wish secretly that tomorrow never comes...

As I park the car, I gaze at the morning sky. The weather is great. Windy and sunny. Alex gets out of the vehicle and takes a deep breath.

"I regret not being able to enjoy this weather right now. The feeling! I can't fully feel it! Know what I mean ? " he exclaims and looks back at me.

"No and sure as well don't need to. Let's go, zoe will be waiting there for sure " I say and we start walking towards the designated spot.

"That Zoe really gives off bad vibes " Alex says.

"I guess so but we need her help "

"I could do it too you know. I know what that van looks like and so do you. Why do we need her ? " he says rolling her eyes.

"Well....you do have a point. Think she'll leave us if we say we don't need her anymore? " I say jokingly.

"As if she will " he laughs.

"My ears sure are burning today " Zoe's voice breaks through the air and we look behind us to see her annoyed expression.

"Speak of the devil," says Alex looking away.

Zoe ignores him "Your timing is perfect. They will be here in about an hour . See ? Wouldn't have known about it without me," she says smugly and leads us ahead.

As we go forward almost there, I try to control my heartbeat. This is it. I know what they'll say if I do it. But...I have no choice.

As we wait I try to think of a way while Zoe and Alex talk and argue.

"I'm just saying, we could have waited. All we needed to know was the day. You are not needed any longer " says Alex annoyingly.

"How dare you! Throwing me away like that! If I could move away from this place, I'd follow you guys everywhere " Zoe says.

"Lucky us! " Alex exclaims.

"Yo, guys. Is that it? " I say while pointing at a white van approaching the checkpoint.

"Yeah...I think...hold on .yes! Yeah, that's it! It's here " Zoe gets up and walks out into the open where the police are.

We watch as the van comes to a stop joining the line of vehicles being checked. Zoe goes right into the van and then a few minutes later comes out while giving a thumbs up.

"Lisa....go and inform the police "I hear Alex say next to me. My feet starts trembling. We do have a chance now. Ignore the possibility of the police being in on it.

As the van came more into view, I could see the police talking to the driver. As soon as the view of the driver became clear, I felt as if all blood had drained from my face.

Him....that's him...I know that man. It cant be. I felt myself start to shiver. Zoe was coming towards us saying something but at that moment all my focus was on that man. This...changes everything.

"LISA! " the sudden yell brings me back to reality. And I see Alex and Zoe looking concerned and tense.

"Go! Before it's gone. I know it means disregarding the plan but come on " says Alex.

I look at him and then I look back at the van. My minds made up.

"I'm....not...go-" I begin but he cuts me off.

"Not going!?!? Stop joking at a time like this! " he says angrily. I've never seen him this mad before. Zoe quietly watches between me and Alex.

"I can't...I....we'll follow it," I say. My voice dry as a desert.

He looks at me with shock then confusion "Wait...what ? What's going on here . What's wrong with you . There right over there! " he says pointing to the van. The police are done talking to him and are handing him back his license.

My heart beats so fast I'm afraid it'll come out. Frustration and anxiety overwhelms me and I try to stop myself from trembling so much. I get up and hurriedly walk back to my car while Alex silently trails behind me with a grim expression.

As soon as I reach the car, I see the van coming up on the road until it passes by. I quickly get into the car and start to drive, following the van.

"Explain " I hear Alex say while glaring at me. His glare feels like needles to the heart.

"I'm not gonna wait anymore for you to tell me everything. " he continues.

How. How did it all come to this? This is way more than I can handle. All of this is a double-edged sword. I really wish everything up until now turns out to be a dream. I'll wake up any moment now. Wake up.....please.

"When I was in middle school.....I murdered someone "