Chapter 3

Star and Snufkin were invited to have coffee or some tea in the Moomin house. A few biscuits too. Moomin Mama is delighted to have a guest around and Moomin Papa is ever so curious about what brings Star to the valley. Immediately asking "So what brought you here in this lovely valley of ours?"

Snufkin can feel and see Star start to clam up a bit. He knew Star is a shy girl from what he has observed but this is turning more different than he thought.

"I came to look for stars on the summer grass." Ah, she hit Moomin Papa with the riddle.

"Stars on summer grass." Moomin Papa ruminated over the sentence for a good moment "I'm sorry dear, but I don't think I've ever seen stars on the summer grass before."

"Maybe it would help if you gave more details?" Moomin Mama suggested. But Star only shook her head.

"No it's okay, I can search for it myself. Besides that's what makes it fun!" Snufkin watched this all while taking a sip of his coffee. Star barely touched her drink, guess she was too nervous to drink from it.

Star and Snufkin eventually left and together they headed on the bridge, but were stopped when they heard their names being called. They turned around and saw Moomin and Little My again. This time with Snorkmaiden and Sniff on toe.

"Hey Snufkin! Hi Star!" The two greeted back with a simple hello.

"Sorry for the bother but we'd like to introduce Snorkmaiden and Sniff to Star."

"It's very nice to meet you Star!" Snorkmaiden beams.

"Yeah, hello. I'm Sniff." Sniff introduced.

"Hi Snorkmaiden, hi Sniff." Snufkin frowned when he heard just how meek Star's response is. And he could also see her getting uncomfortable. To the untrained eye, it may not look like that but Snufkin has met enough people in his travels to know that this is a difficult spot for Star to be in.

He should know. He's been in the same shoes himself quite a few times. And it is not good feeling.

"Anyways, we were hoping you guys could join us in a game of hide and seek!" Moomin declares. Making little My huff "You guys are just asking to loose to me."

Sniff took offense to that "No way Little My. I can assure you that I'm amazing at hide and seek."

"So how about it Star?"

Before Star could freeze again, Snufkin took charge and spoke "That sounds great, but Star and I plan on practicing our instruments. Maybe another time?"

That was enough to convince Moomin and the others to go about their merry way and play with each other. And once the two were alone again. Star thanked Snufkin. "Thanks for that. I really appreciate it."

"Hm, I'm getting the feeling that you're not exactly fond of huge groups of people. Am I wrong?"

"It's not that I don't want to! Who doesn't want a group of friends? It's just that if I don't take a break from talking to people, I get nervous and feel jittery."

Snufkin can understand that feeling all too much, there were certain situations where he just needed his time to be alone. Be by himself and traveling the vast expansion of his mind. The same must be for Star.

"It's okay, you can play with them later." Snufkin said.

Star nods in agreement. The two soon found themselves in their respective spot. Star on the bridge and Snufkin setting up his tent before he went fishing. Star continues practicing with her tin whistle. Playing a much more joyous melody this time. Her playing is quite beautiful too. Especially combined with the spring breeze that carries petals and leaves make for the perfect ambiance.