Chapter 13

The time came for the fancy dress ball and everyone in Moomin Valley were dressed in their best outfits. Everyone except Snufkin of course. He had no intention of going to the ball, but he thought he could come over to the Moomin house and wish them all a fun night. Moomin and Snorkmaiden especially since this would the first that they would be going together.

Last Year's ball didn't exactly went as planned but it all worked out in the end.

Other than Moomin and Snorkmaiden, Snufkin would also like to wish Star good luck on her performance. Come to think of it, he hasn't seen what Moomin, Snorkmaiden and Star were going to where. He's quite curious himself at what they will be wearing. Although he does have a feeling that Moomin dropped the Tarzan outfit.

Snufkin waited for them all to exit the house. The first one to open the door was none other than Moomin.

"Hi Snufkin!" Moomin greeted.

"Moomin! You look just like a prince!" Moomin was dressed in all blue and gold, like the outfit of a prince.

"Thanks! Mama did a great job at making this."

Soon out came Snorkmaiden. Who was wearing a blonde wig to match with her pink fan and her blue parasol "Moomin I'm ready!"

"Oh my but of course milady!" Moomin gently outstretched his hand for Snorkmaiden to take and the two soon walked side by side like royalty.

"Well I hope you enjoy the ball." Snufkin says to the two. And they spoke in unison "We will!"

"Hey wait for us!" Out came running is Little My and Sniff. Who were dressed in their own respective costumes. Little My had on a little blonde wig with fruits while Sniff is dressed like a dog. The only one who is left in the house is Moomin Papa and Mama, along with St—

"I'm here!"

Star came out of the house and left Snufkin speechless. The girl was dressed in a blue dress, much like the white summer dress she wore but it had more ruffled sleeves and there's obviously a petticoat underneath the dress. And is that a blue ribbon tying her her hair together?

"What do you think Snufkin. Everyone said it's beautiful."

"Why, of course it's beautiful on you." Snufkin comments "I hope you perform well on the fancy dress ball."

Star gave a little light laugh "Thanks Snufkin. Well, I better get going now. Don't want to be late to the ball and all."

"Of course. Have a safe trip!"

"Thanks!"

Snufkin and Star gave each other a wave goodbye before disappearing from each other's sight. That leaves Snufkin on his own in the valley. Just like how it was when he traveled to south for the winter.

And that leaves Star with the rest of her group. Just like when she was with her friend for a short while. Star couldn't stop her hands from shaking, but she just kept on taking deep breaths. Telling herself that everything will be okay and that there's really nothing to worry about.

"You'll do great Star!"

"You can do it! We just know you can!"

Star tries to remember the support of her friends. Using it as fuel to boost her confidence so she face an audience. A faith that's becoming closer and closer the more they see the manor in the distance.

***

Call Snufkin curious because he just said that he wouldn't be going to the ball and he went anyways. Well not technically, he plans to just watch the manor from afar and through the windows. He could see Moomin and Snorkmaiden dancing with delight. Sniff enjoying the food that has to offer and Little My is dancing the night away. As for Star, she is nowhere to be found in the dancefloor at all.

Snufkin waited and waited for her to show up but she just didn't. Resulting in Snufkin just admiring the music that played from the manor. It's a soft tune, fit for a ball waltz, but then it went silent for a moment. Followed by an announcement.

"Attention everyone! Someone has been chosen to perform a song for all to hear!" That was Miss Fillyjonk.

And lo and behold. Star was presented holding her tin whistle. She took a deep breathe, let it out. Now, she's a performer and a performer strives for perfection. With another heavy resolve. Star played her instrument. And as if a command from her playing. The orchestra that played before began accompanying her tune.

Creating a wonderful music that the people of the fancy dress ball to dance to.

Snufkin was pleased by the music. Not only is it fit for a waltz but it also fits any form of dancing. Snufkin stayed for the remainder of the song. And when it came to an end, everyone broke into an applause. Even Snufkin clapped his hands for a wonderful performance his friend had just done.

Well, that concludes his journey. Snufkin took one last glance at all of his friends before bidding a silent good night. He'll be heading to his tent in Moomin Valley now and the rest can enjoy the rest of the ball throughout their hearts content.

Snufkin had expected the moon to be shining brightly, he expected the crickets playing their nightly song. Bringing sleep to those who can't listen to silence as they slumber. What he didn't expect was for a certain someone to already be on the bridge playing their instrument.

"Star? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be dancing with the others?" Snufkin asked as he approached her, sitting by the railing of the bridge like how they usually would. The music then stops.

"I don't like dancing. I may accidentally step on someone's foot." Star quickly said before going back to playing.

"You're playing was amazing you know."

That made Star stop indefinitely "You were there?"

"Just outside, I just got curious that's all. Everyone seemed to be having fun."

"Then why didn't you join us?"

"Like I said, balls and fancy gatherings aren't really my thing."

"Oh. . ."

Things were silent between them before Star eventually broke it "To be honest. I don't think balls are for me either. They're so stuffy and tiring."

Snufkin gave a light laugh "I understand that feeling all too well."

A laugh that had Star smiling back before returning to playing her tin whistle. Only this time, Snufkin took out his harmonica and started playing. Thanks to Star's quick work, Snufkin's hand healed just enough for him to continue playing his harmonica.

The two were then back to their duet. Music, the secret language that no one can simply get with just a simple glance or one hearing.