Chapter 14

Star couldn't help herself. If she saw something pretty, she can't help but observe it for hours. Who knew the forest had so many interesting plants and animals to observe. Star passed by one floral patch after the other. Casually observing from afar and taking in the scent that they could give.

Moomin Valley really is different compared to other places she ventured in. Where Moomin Valley has lush growing trees and shrubs, the desert sand sings with the wind under the heavy sun rays. The difference is so Stark that Star had been distracted by so many things the forest has to offer.

"I should probably go back now." Star stared at the direction of the Moomin house. Before going back to walking deeper in the forest "Maybe five minutes of exploring wouldn't hurt." She justifies to herself as she goes deeper into the forest.

The lights got a little dimmer, thanks to the thick branches and leaves. But it did not stop Star from venturing further. She kept going and going until she deemed that five minutes is up. That's when she starts heading back to the Moomin house. And that's when she stumbled upon her.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh!" Star spotted a girl with long orange hair tip toeing like she's trying not to get caught. Well it didn't work because Star found her and she felt bad or scaring her.

"Oh I'm sorry! It's just that. . . What are you doing?"

The girl quickly shushed "Don't talk so loud, I don't want to get caught."

So Star's suspicions is true.

"Okay? But where are you going to?" Where is this place that she's forbidden to go? Is it dangerous or is it safe?

"I'm just going to Moomin Valley to meet with my friends." The girl said.

"You're going to Moomin Valley? That's where I'm heading too! Wanna go together?"

"Really? That would be great! I'm Alicia by the way." The girl Alicia smiled and Star smiled back.

"I'm (Y/n), but you can call me Star."

"Well it's nice to meet you Star!"

After they exchanged pleasantries, both girls started walking back to Moomin Valley. On the way, they kept asking each other questions. Taking turns with every questioned answer.

"Oh, so you're a visitor of Moomin Valley! Well what brings you here?" Alicia asked, hopping over a rock before she could trip on it.

"I came to look for Stars among the grass. But they don't come until summer. So I'm staying there until summer comes." And while Star shares more of her side, she asked for Alicia's stories. If they're gonna be friends, they might as well get to know each other along the way.

"So you're a witch in training?"

"Oh yes! And my grandma is teaching me everything she could to be a great witch." Alicia says.

"That sounds amazing!" Star then looked around Alicia. Studying her form made her realize that something is missing "Where's your broom?"

"Huh? The broom? Oh I'm not suppose to learn how to fly a broom just yet. That'll come in later in my training."

"Really?" Well that can't be right, she's sure Alicia should've have a broom.

"Why? What's wrong?" Alicia sounded worried there.

"I'm just confused. Because during my travels I met a witch who's about your age and she had a broom with her."

"What?! Why would she have her broom already?"

"Because it's part of her training. She told me that when a witch comes of age, they have to leave home and live on their own to begin their training." Star can still remember the girl in a dark black dress, accompanied by her own black cat and a lantern to light her way. Katherine was her name and she lived in a town with a lovely clock tower to match.

"That doesn't sound like a witch in training. At least to me and my grandma."

Star then began contemplating about it "Maybe the witches in different areas have a different custom."

"That could be it. I'm gonna have to ask my grandma when she comes back. As long as I don't get caught sneaking off."

The two girls shared a laugh at that and continued making their way to Moomin Valley. Once there Star stopped by at the bridge and sat on the railings of the bridge again "This is as far as I'll go."

"You're not coming to the house?"

Star shook her head "No, I'll be playing with my tin whistle. Hope you and the others have fun! The two girls bid each other another goodbye and just as Star promised. She continued playing on her tin whistle, back to that melancholic tune she's grown used to playing. Snufkin is no where to be found, she guessed that he's either exploring the forest on his own. Or he's at the Moomin house enjoying a cup of coffee.

No matter. Star can ferry off on her own. That's how it has always been since the beginning. It's only until a while did she started making friends.

Friends. . .

The thought of it all alone had Star being reminded of her first ever friend.

She wonders how he's doing right now. Off on his own, traveling with a flock of migrating birds. Traveling the around the confines of earth looking for men. Star hopes he's doing alright. . .

"Star?"

Star was broken from her thoughts by none other than Snufkin. Coming from the direction that tells Star that he was not at the Moomin house but possibly in the forest "Hi Snufkin, what's up?"

"Star do you happen to be busy as of late?" Snufkin asked. Turning the gears in Star's head.

"Busy? Not really, summer is still so far away and I haven't been doing anything besides explore the valley as of late."

"Right, then can you come follow me?"

"Follow you?"

Snufkin nodded his head with a hum.

Well. . .

Star did say that she's not exactly busy as of late.