Chapter 1: Pilot

The high-pitched ding of the elevator breaks my train of thought, indicating that I had reached the second floor. I adjust the strap of my brown duffel bag across my shoulder, taking in a deep breath. The doors of the elevator open, and I am greeted with a bold, blue and white sign – Penn Papers – the official logo of the company I had interviewed for a couple of weeks ago. Two days ago I got a call back from them, letting me know that I had been selected for the job. Although the company has ten other branches across the country, the office in Pennsylvania suited my options of commute. And so here I am – standing right in front of the main entrance to what is now my place of work, waiting to start my professional career as a sales representative for a fairly reputed paper company.

I push the doors and enter the office when my line of sight meets the reception desk, or to be more specific, the person sitting behind the desk.

"You must be Arnav, right?"

A nervous smile escapes. I nod in a yes.

The receptionist holds up a hand in a gesture to wait, picking up the phone. In those few seconds I can't help but notice how her soft, brown hair falls to her cheekbones, and how her voice soothes my nerves.

"Ranveer, Arnav Raizada has arrived."

Before I could ask any questions a grinning man comes out of a separate cabin, extending his hand out to me. A firm handshake later I realize that this is my boss, Ranveer Mishra.

"Pleasure to meet you Mr. Mishra,"

"Oh, please call me Ranveer. This is a workplace I agree, but it is definitely not a boring, formal setting. I like my employees to feel at home! Welcome to the family."

I return the warmth, feeling the jitters of the first day start to disappear.

"Thank you, Ranveer. Glad to be a part."

After minutes of running through work procedures and expectations, my boss leads me to my cubicle before calling for the attention of everyone in the office. I look around the place, realizing that the area isn't too small nor massive, but big enough to feel a sense of comfort.

"Guys – this is Arnav, a wonderful addition to our sales department. Let's give him a warm welcome!"

Words of welcome pour towards me from my fifteen coworkers and I thank them with wave and a smile. I start to settle my things onto my desk when I notice a paper plane beside the computer. Sitting down, I hold the plane in my hand for a while, realizing that there are words of blue ink inside. I open it up, revealing a note written in slanted, neat handwriting.

From: The girl at the reception desk to your right

I blink and allow the smile to envelop on my lips, turning to my right to look at the sender of the little message that has made my week. She grins adorably, waving.

Maybe there is something to look forward to every weekday after all.

Welcome to this tale! Would love to know what you think :)

– Rain