Chapter 2: Hiccup

It has been exactly five weeks since I joined as a sales representative at Penn Papers, and every single day has turned out to be an exercise of my restraint.

I have started to transition from having formal, silence filling talks with my coworkers to sharing conversations over coffee along with a laugh here and there. I realize how lucky I got, considering everyone working at this office along with my boss are quite pleasant with an enjoyable company.

But nothing could have prepared me for this.

Every time I try to concentrate on the numbers on a spreadsheet on my computer, my eyes end up tracing her sight. There's just something about her, something so simplistic and magnetic. The hours go by and I find myself memorizing the curve of her neck, the curls of her hair, her lip bites, her giggles, her mischievous glances. The last thing that is helping throughout this misery is the fact that the reception desk is less than 3 feet away from my cubicle (refer back to the mention of every day being an exercise of my restraint).

I think back to my first day at the office after reading her little welcome note when she had answered the ringing phone.

"Penn Papers, this is Khushi. How may we help you?"

We hadn't talked much that day, given that there was a fair amount of work to be done, and because we were strangers – albeit strangers who seemed to share the same sense of humor.

On my third day however, I had decided to gather up the courage and take the plunge. During lunch break I walked up to her after adjusting my tie out of nervousness.

"Hey,"

She looked up at me, a glint in her hazel eyes.

"Hey,"

"I just realized that I haven't formally introduced myself. Hi, I'm Arnav. And you are...?"

She shook my hand, laughing. "Come on, I answer the phone about thirty times a day. You really don't know my name yet?"

I ran a hand through my disheveled hair. God, I hope she didn't notice my reddening cheeks.

"I'm Khushi. I'm the receptionist by the way, if you haven't noticed," She teased.

"Yeah, I was just trying to start a conversation without sounding too dorky," I replied between laughs.

That day, I knew I had made a friend. The only difference is that I find myself wanting more than just friendship with her.

Now, five weeks later, our dynamic is one of pulling innocent pranks, sharing the same inside jokes, spending lunch breaks in comfortable silence. She has become, in every sense of the word, my best friend. And that, is exactly where the problem lies – I haven't been able spill out how I really feel about her because a part of me knows that she thinks of me as just that – a friend, and nothing more.

I try to concentrate on the figures on my computer instead of losing myself in these thoughts when a small paper plane lands on my desk.

SOS.

Extremely bored. Send help.

I look up to see her holding her pouting face within her hands while I fight the urge to kiss her adorable lips senseless. Damn it, I need to stop.

I reach for my blue pen and a blank piece of paper.

Coffee break?

I fold it into a plane and check to see if anyone's looking. Finding the coast to be clear, I push the plane into flight before Khushi catches it with a smile. She reads the note and nods immediately, and we make our way into the office kitchen.

After making ourselves some much needed cups of coffee, we sit at a table and for a few seconds I silently watch her sip, relishing in these little moments when I can gaze at her without her noticing.

"Tell me, why are some clients so darn rude? I mean, I told them we were out of stock for newsprint paper and that I'll transfer the call to Ranveer but then that guy started threatening me out of nowhere! It's unfair how we always have to maintain our cool despite these arrogant customers,"

Her irritated tone surprised me at first. Now, the amusement is settling in.

"Hey, doesn't your name mean happiness? Aren't you supposed to be, I don't know, happy all the time?" I enjoy her feigned scowl and grin victoriously.

"Ha-ha, very funny," The sarcasm doesn't go missed. We take a sip of our coffee simultaneously, and she speaks again. "Besides, it takes a lot to be happy, you know,"

Something about the way she said it and the words she chose makes me look to her downcast eyes. I have never seen her being anything but positive during the course of our friendship for these past five weeks, so hearing a tinge of melancholy in her voice startles me. Have I been missing something?

She notices the tension and tries to make a quick attempt to diffuse it.

"By the way, you never told me what your name means. Arnav – it's a wonderful name,"

I look down and smile. She's clearly not comfortable enough to share the reason behind her sudden loss of optimism. And so, for now, I let it go.

"Thanks, I kinda like it too. It means ocean,"

She raises her eyebrows animatedly, impressed.

"You know, if we put our names together, you and I could be an ocean of happiness," I say, raising my cup of coffee.

She laughs, almost giggles giddily.

"Oh God. Is the sales rep trying to flirt with the receptionist?"

Her eyelashes flutter and a tendril of her hair escapes from the back of her ear as I think to myself if she'll ever save me.

"Is it working?"

My question slowly erases her smile, our eyes locked in an unmoving gaze. I can't quite pinpoint what or why, but I wanted to know the answers.

"I should get back," She says, standing up.

"Is my company that bad that you're choosing to go back to work over conversing with me?" I try to ease the air.

"No no, haha. I just finished my coffee," She replies, showing me her empty cup.

I nod, looking towards her retreating figure. Something snaps within me just then. I call out to her, not exactly sure of what to say.

"Are you... uh- Are you free for dinner tonight?"

My lungs feel constricted inside my ribs, a funny feeling that visits every so often whenever she is concerned.

I see Khushi's eyes light up for a brief moment and then it's over.

"I actually have plans tonight, I can't." She looks apologetic and... regretful.

"Oh- yeah, it's alright." The rejection does hurt a little, but I try to play it cool. The last thing I want is for her to feel bad for me, someone she sees as just a friend, and nothing more.

---

A/N: Curious to know what you think so far :)

– Rain