Chapter 37

Derek and Wesley look taken back. They didn't know what to say. Maybe it was the lack of oxygen to their brain or the surprise of me wanting to go with Dani. I needed clarification. But Chloe didn't have the same look. She had the face; she knew something was wrong. Derek looked at Wesley. They both seemed confused. Why would I want to go?

"I would like to go too, to make sure he is alright," I said. Derek was confused.

"Addison, I'm going; he will be fine," Wesley said. Derek agreed as usual.

"And again, I'm not asking; I'm going to say three is better than two. He is an ex-assassin; if Dani doesn't trust him, maybe we have reason to question it," I said. Derek and Wesley look at each other. And Shake their head.

"Yeah, my girlfriend is not going out there. Anyone could be watching, and if they spot you, they could kill you, no," he said. I place my hand on my hip, poke the inside of my mouth with my tongue, and nod.

"Yeah, okay, again, not asking. Be upset later; I'm going," I said before turning my heels. Chloe catches my arm. Derek and Wesley look at each other. Speechless.

"I don't know why you insist on going, but I know you have a good reason for putting yourself in danger. So I will go too," she said. I nod. Derek scoffs.

"Like hell, what is this suicide party of the dead? You're asking to be shot, or worse, you girls-"

"Yeah, Derek, it's cute that you called my sister your girlfriend. It's not when you try to control her; back off, I'm going too," Chloe says. Riley and Noah noticed the debacle and slid in as well. Noah was rooting for me, but Riley was on the fence.

"Okay, first of all, we are out of our element in combat, sort of. I have no opinion, but if you insist, I will go too; more of us means more of a fighting chance," Riley says. Derek shakes his head, looking up and back at me.

"Addison, please, we just made it official. Don't be stupid; listen to me, you could get killed," he said. I nod and decide it's time to tell him what I think. And no holding back this time. I was tired of them treating me like a child and not letting me speak for myself. But before I could- Noah spoke up. 

"Wait, Addison, hold on, listen, Derek," he says, putting a hand in front of me. Chloe noticed the defense, "She's a grown woman, not a girl, both are, but you've not let her make one choice since you kidnapped us, and then you tell her she's stupid for wanting to go out with your trained sister and her trained boyfriend, if you don't trust them, why keep them here?"

Derek stepped back. He realized Noah may have a point, but he wanted to fight. I know he did. I could see it. Noah could have taken him, but he was not trying to throw his hands at Derek. Chloe steps back with Riley.

"You have no right, None, you either, Wes, you either, she's old enough to choose for herself, maybe believe in her a little," he said. Derek crosses his arms, looking at Wesley. He shrugs. Derek didn't like that look on his face.

"I'm trying to protect her, and since when do you come to her defense?" Derek says. Noah scoffs.

"Since she's become a close friend and she's always been my family, I'm marrying her sister, but more than that, she's my best friend here, and she's not going to be controlled by some jerk with an ego problem," he said. Realizing he just snapped at Derek. Derek looked between me and him. Chloe too. And Wesley.

"Fine, since you love her more than me, I guess you make decisions for her or let her get herself killed, protect her like I have," he said. There it is. He feels obligated to protect me. He feels guilty. The guilt and shame come into play. This was something I knew too well. He could see it in my face.