Prologue - Addy

"Tommy!" I beg. "Please don't do this!"

My brother looks down guiltily. "I have to. You know that." He steps closer, ready to begin the Swipe and take my whole life from me.

I back away, not ready to lose it. "Please," I whisper, hoping this won't be the last time I speak to him with the knowledge that he's my brother. "I don't want to forget."

Thomas leans in to give me a hug and urgently whispers in my ear. "Listen, I think I've found a way to weaken the Swipe. It won't stop you from losing your memories, but you'll lose them slower and gain them back quickly. I'm going to wake you right after the chip so you'll have to fake it until you're in the box. Once you're there, write down everything you can remember, just in case. The strain on your brain might knock you out still, so be quick. I'm going to convince them to not give me the Swipe, so I'll get back to you as soon as possible." He slips a pen and paper up my long sleeved shirt as he pulls away. Loudly, he says, "It'll be ok. You knew this had to happen. I love you Addy."

He doesn't wait for a response before plunging a needle into my arm. As the world fades to black, I notice that he pulls it out before the liquid is entirely gone. The last thing I remember before I pass out is smiling at Tommy's cleverness.

"Everything's going to be alright, Addy. I promise." The words slur together and I fade into nothingness.

---

My head throbs when a jolt startles me into consciousness. Tommy hushes me and I remember that I can't be awake so I quickly fall limp in his arms.

He places me into the box and whispers goodbye. Through my eyelids, I sense darkness and know it means that he's shut the box. Immediately, I sit up, trying to keep my panic down. I can't have a panic attack. I can't. Not now. I breathe deeply, calming myself. I know what I need to do. I'll get the girls out of the maze and Tommy, while retaining his memories, will get the boys out. He'll be put in the boys' maze with Chuck, Minho, and... Newt. I'll get to be with my best friends again. I smile thinking of Sonya and Harriet.

I can't forget them. I think. I have to remember. I slip the pen out of my sleeve, relieved that it's still there. The box jolts into movement and I'm reminded of the sharp pain in the back of my skull. I push through the pain and start scribbling names and instructions on the page. I pause mid-word, gasping for breath. The aching becomes unbearable and I know I won't be able to finish, so I roll the note up and slide it into the center of my cylinder shaped necklace.

I tremble and slide to the floor, clutching my head and moaning in pain. The pen falls from my hand. With every breath, every passing second, a year of my life disappears from my memory. Just what I was afraid of. I don't want to forget. I squeeze my eyes shut and repeat their names like a mantra. I can't forget my friends. I can't!

My skull feels like it's being ripped a part and I scream. It feels like a huge dagger is being forced into my brain. I guess this is why they're kept unconscious for so long after getting the Swipe implanted. The pain makes my eyes fuzzy and my vision falls in and out of focus until finally everything turns dark and my life is torn from my memory.