Chapter Six - Addy

I swarm the Box, along with the others. A loud grating sound rings through the air as the box opens followed by a chorus of comments.

"Look at that shank!"

"Is it another girl? I call dibs if she's hot!"

"Definitely not a girl. Looks like klunk in a T-shirt!"

"You're the klunk, shuckface!"

"Hope you enjoyed the one-way trip, Greenie."

"Ain't no ticket back."

The Gladers throw down a rope and pull the poor Greenie out of the box. Finally, once he is righted, the boys back off and I can see the Greenie. His hair is dark brown like mine and he looks about sixteen or seventeen. As I study the boy, I realize that I don't know how old I am. I don't know what my face looks like. I don't even know my full name.

"Where am I?" The boy asks. The terror in his eyes triggers sympathy from me. I want to give him a hug, tell him it'll be alright, but Alby's already calming the poor boy down.

The Greenie shoots questions at Alby like a machine gun. Again, it saddens me to know things enough to make metaphors about random klunk, but I can't remember my own family.

I catch the Greenie's eye and something flashes in his blue orbs. Recognition maybe? Could this be Tommy? I think to myself excitedly.

"What's your name, Greenie?" I ask, stumbling over the slang word as I try to adjust.

"I'm Thomas," he replies.

A wide smile spreads across my face. "Come with me, Thomas. Chuck and I will give you the tour."

"Good that," Newt says. He catches my eye and gives me a look that tells me we'll talk later.

You're my sister.

The words come directly in my mind, but the thought is not mine. I stumble backward, startled. "What the shuck..." I say aloud. Luckily none of the boys are paying attention to me except Chuck and Thomas.

I open my mouth to say something, but a blood curdling scream cuts me off. The shriek was high and shrill, barely human. Thomas's face echoes my own terror.

"Shuck it," Newt says. "Can't the bloody Med-jacks handle that boy for ten minutes without needing my help?" Newt mutters and stalks off.

"What's going on in there?" Thomas asks, face white.

I'm just as shaken up as Thomas, so Chuck responds, "Don't know. Ben's in there. Sicker than a dog. They got him."

"They?" Thomas repeats.

I interject, "Do you go by Tommy?"

Thomas turns back to me, surprised. "What? Uh, I'm not sure. I- I don't remember."

"But, that was your voice wasn't it? In my head? You said that I'm your sister." I realize after I say it that if this isn't Tommy I just made myself sound like a psychopath and revealed something I shouldn't have.

Thomas looks startled. "Y- you heard that? I don't even know how I know. I don't remember anything else, I just know that."

"Whoa! You totally look like siblings!" Chuck exclaims. "And you can talk in each others' heads? That's awesome! Can all siblings do that or just you?"

"I don't think that it's normal," I say.

"Will someone please explain what is going on? I can't remember my entire life and now I show up in a giant prison with my telepathic sister and a bunch of guys. Not to mention some one screaming like they're being tortured to death." Thomas is exasperated and confused, but I'd forgotten that he doesn't know anything. It feels like I've known him my whole life. I probably have, I realize, I just don't remember.