Chapter Thirteen - Addy

I lean against the door, straining her ears to hear what was going on but I only catch a few snippets of the conversation, mostly consisting of Newt telling Gally to shut up. It's been hours but suddenly, the door swings open, sending me stumbling for my footing, and Gally barges out yelling, "-Kill you if I have to!"

I didn't catch what he'd been saying before but I'm not sure I want to. As the angry boy stalks of he shoots me a malicious glare, seeming barely able to restrain himself from kicking me, or worse. I peer into the room through the ajar door to see the boys staring in silence. Tommy sits frozen, his face stricken with fear and eyes cast to the ground. I want to run inside and hug him, but one of the boys stands and closes the door, casting an apologetic look towards me as he does.

I grumble to myself, upset that they still weren't finished even after Gally's grand exit. My thoughts drift back to the first memory I received. The similarities are uncanny. Gally had gotten upset and stormed out in the memory just like he had today, only this time the reasons and location were different. Then again, I don't know the reasoning or location for either. I know I'm in the Glade but I have no idea where the Glade really is. I could be on entirely different planet for all I know. But what really bothers me is that I have no idea where I'd been in the memory.

I squeeze my eyes shut, straining my brain to search the locked up memories for answers. I push back through my memories, all the way to waking up into the Box, but it's as if there is an invisible wall keeping me from wandering any further back. Finally, my efforts reign in results.

"Addy?" Thomas walks over to where I sit on one of the many bunks in the dormitory. My heart is heavy thinking about all the other girls that used to occupy the other beds. "It's time."

Everything tells me not to go with him, but I know that fighting will do me no good so I grudgingly leave the safety of my bed and go with him. I try to get myself excited knowing that I'm finally going to be reunited with my friends, but I can't bring myself to fake anymore emotions.

"You'll be alright," my brother promises. "You'll fit right in. You always have." A hint of jealousy taints his words. "You're smarter then them. I know you don't want to be, but it's true. You'll solve it the moment you get in there."

"Thanks Tommy," I mutter, my voice void of emotion.

Tommy gives me the side eye. "Don't you trust me? You'll be alright. I've been doing everything I can to make the transition as smooth as possible. You know that."

I nod and Tommy embraces me. I want to stay in his arms where it's safe, but he let's go and leads me to the door.

Tommy and I walk down a long, empty hallway. His hand grips around my arm tightly but I feel lucky that he's my only escort. Many of the others weren't so lucky. He leads me towards a door and my panic grows. I swallow, trying to force the anxiety down, and breath deeply while reminding myself I'm going to see the girls again. Sonya and Harriet. My best friends. I'll be happy.

Tommy pushes the door open and I walk through, forcing myself to be calm. I can't have a panic attack or I won't get to do this with just my brother. I'm in a white room containing only a rolling steel tray containing a variety of tools that remind me of those one might find in a dentist's office but larger and significantly more powerful, and a cot covered in a thin, crinkly paper for sanitary purposes. My anxiety rises again, though I did my best to force it down. I clench my teeth and remind myself again that I just have to escape the Maze and get to the boys. Then I'll be fine. It'll all go back to normal.