Chapter Twenty Two - Addy

"If you kill him, you'll have no leverage against me!" I scream, sobbing. C'mon Tommy! Wake up!

Janson says, "I didn't intend to kill him, but you aren't cooperating."

Newt's entire body spasms and he screams as electricity dances across his body.

"Stop this!" I demand. "I don't know! Please! I don't know!" Tears stream down my face. "Please!"

"Keep thinking." Janson shakes his head and gives Newt another dosage of torture.

"Stop!" I scream, my throat is sore. "Please! Please!"

Thomas! I scream in my head. Thomas, hurry! Tell me! Wake up!

"Have you formed an answer?" Janson asks, his face is incredibly empty considering he's torturing helpless teenagers. "Or shall we continue?"

I sob, trying to choke out the words.

"Answer me!" Janson demands, slamming his fists in the table. "I said, answer me, girl!" He slaps his palm across my face and tears fall more freely from my eyes, though I didn't think I was capable of forming any more.

"Alright," I choke the lie while gulping air into my lungs, "I know! Do you promise not to hurt him if I tell you?"

Janson snarls, "Yes, whatever, just tell me!"

Thomas! I scream in my mind to him. There's no more time! You've got to help me out here or Newt is going to die!

I swallow more oxygen and struggle to form words, especially since I don't know what to say. Suddenly, like a light being switched on, I feel Thomas' presence within my head.

Addy, he says, what have I done?

He sends me a mental image of his memories. The ones unlocked by the Changing.

Scenes flash within my head. I see Thomas as a young boy being carried away from a small suburban home, kicking and screaming. A tiny, toddler-aged girl is tossed over the shoulder of another man. She cries for her mother and sobs as she's thrown into a van.

The scene changes. Thomas, older now, sits with his jaw clenched firmly in defiance as a man demands the boy tell him his name.

"Stephen," my brother says.

Apparently, that's the wrong answer because he's rewarded with a harsh beating.

The image melts away again and flips through snippets of memories more quickly. Thomas sneaking out to see Newt and the others. Thomas speaking with the dark haired girl, Teresa. Thomas prepping the boys to be inserted. Thomas watching the video surveillance footage of the Glade. It all speeds by until finally, the scene changes and slows.

Thomas strokes my hair while I sleep, a tortured look in my face. "It'll be alright, Addy," he whispers. "You won't lose your memories. You'll help us escape the Maze and then we'll find Mother and the Right Arm. She'll meet us on the other side. We'll be free. All of us. Teresa was wrong. They won't find a cure from the Trials. This world has turned into a big game of survival of the fittest and I intend to win it." He plants a kiss on my head and leaves the room.

A sharp slap across my face pulls me from Thomas' memories. "Answer me girl!" Janson screams into my ear.

"He was afraid," I lie. "He was afraid that I wouldn't make it out if I were in the other Maze. He thought if I were in his Maze, he could ensure my safety." I internally beat myself up for not thinking of the lie sooner, but now that I know the truth, I'm definitely not telling Janson that.

Janson angrily flips the table. "That's it?" He spits in my face. "He just wanted to keep you safe?!" Janson releases a string of swearwords and stomps around the room.

"Um, excuse me?" Dr. Wright says timidly. I'd almost forgotten she was there. "Perhaps we should move the children for now?"

Janson glares at her but waves the guards in to take us away. Newt is unconscious again, but this time, I fear he really might not wake up. I march with guards on either side of me, keeping my head up and letting tears spill down. He has to wake up. He has to. We're thrown into the room, but we're not safe. I know it. Newt and I have to get out, now.

Tommy? I ask, timidly. What's going on out there?

A little busy! Thomas shoots back. He mentally casts me the image of Gladers fighting Grievers and him throwing himself into the hole, punching in the code words.

They're almost out. It'll be ok. We just have to find where the Maze ends and we'll be safe. "Newt?" I whimper, shaking him softly in attempt to wake him. "Newt, please wake up. I need your help."

The boy spasms and I can see his eyes darting back and forth beneath his lids, but they stay closed. I wipe my face. It's up to me now. I have to get us out of here, but how?

I search my mind, trying to remember anything that could help. My mother, I think. Thomas mentioned that our mother would be waiting at the end of the Maze for us. I have to get there, but how?

I recall Thomas mentioning learning telepathy with his friend Teresa in the memories. I have no memory of this girl, but she knows the layout of facility and I don't have any other options. It's worth a shot.

I press on the mental button. Teresa?

The response is immediate. Who is this?

I'm Thomas' sister. I need your help. I cross my fingers. She's my best chance.

What do you need? Teresa asks.

I pump my fists in the air. Yes! I just need you to get me and my friend to the end of the Maze so we can meet up with the others. Please.

Teresa is quiet for a minute and I question her loyalties for a moment. She doesn't know me better than I know her. What if she just turns us right back in to WICKED? I can do that. When shall we go?

Teresa's response buries all my doubts.

Tonight.