Chapter Twenty One - Addy

When I finally wake up, Newt is still unconscious next to me. I scramble to my knees and crawl to his side.

"Newt. Newt, please wake up!" I press my hands to his shoulders and shake him gently. His pulse is weak and erratic, but it's there. "Newt," I beg.

My head still hurts and my heart is pounding nervously, but I can breath sufficiently now. I cradle Newt's head in my lap, close my eyes, and cry quietly.

"Addy?" Newt croaks. His eyes are split open a crack. "What happened? Where are we?"

"Newt!" I gasp, relieved he's alright. "You're ok!" I pull him into sitting position to hug him.

He groans and I see tiny burns along his skin. "I feel like pins and needles are everywhere," he moans.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper, tears leaking from my eyes and onto his shirt.

"Seriously," he asks, "what happened?"

I sniffle. He doesn't remember. That can't be good. "They put you in an electric chair and zapped you if I didn't answer their questions. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't know. I didn't know the answer. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." I bury my face in his chest, ashamed.

Newt rubs my back. "Did they hurt you?"

I smile softly. He's so selfless. He's just been victim to torture and he's worried about me. "No. No, I'm alright. Thank you. I love you."

"I love you too. So much." Newt kisses my cheek. "Now, help me up."

"Newt, are you sure?" I ask, worried.

Newt trembles and pushes himself to his knees. "If you won't help me, I'll do it myself," he says with some effort.

I scramble to his side and wrap his arm over my shoulder as he struggles to his feet. I gently lead him up, supporting most of his weight. Suddenly, Newt starts shaking and spasming uncontrollably. He falls to the ground and I catch his head just before it hits the floor.

"Newt!" I cry. "Are you alright?"

He groans, "Yes. Fine." But his words are labored and I don't believe him.

"I'm so sorry." I wrap my arms around his neck in an embrace and then pull him off the floor and seat him on the bed. My hands tremble. This is my fault. "I'm so sorry."

Newt shakes his head. "You didn't do this. You have nothing to apologize for."

"But I could've stopped it from happening," I moan, hugging him.

"Please don't blame yourself," Newt whispers. "This is whole bloody thing is their fault. We have to get out of this shuck place."

I nod. "I should check on Thomas."

"How?"

"Our telepathy, remember?" I tell him.

Newt nods in understanding. "Right. I forgot."

Thomas? I ask. You there? He could still be unconscious from the Changing but I have no idea how long the Changing takes or how long we've been blacked out.

"Why do you think they gave you guys telepathy? Seems like it hurts them more than helps," Newt observes.

He brings up a good point. "I- I don't actually know." But just then, my mind breaks into a memory that gives me the answer.

"Thomas!" I exclaimed, pulling him into a hug. "Where have you been? We can never find you these days."

My brother broke into a tired grin. "They've been training me and this other girl, Teresa. She's supposed to be some sort of trigger for the Trials." I cringed at mention of the Trials and Thomas cleared his throat uncomfortably while moving on. "They've been teaching us to speak into each other's minds."