Chapter 14 - "I am better than you."

Ty checked the clock behind the customer service desk and sighed when she found it had only been a minute since the last time she had checked it. Hudson was late. She had told him to meet her at the customer service desk on the main floor at nine-forty-five and it was now two minutes to ten.

She knew there was no way he could get to level three on his own, but she was thinking of leaving without him. She hated being late for the games. It only gave Anders and Nico more time to scoop out the area and devise plans.

She was about to check the clock again when she saw Hudson walking towards her. She rushed towards him, eager to get going, but stopped when she noticed he was dressed in all black. "What are you wearing?" she asked.

"Camouflage. I might not have played Sardines since middle school but I came to win. What are you wearing?"

She looked down at her t-shirt and shorts then back at him. "The back hallways we play in are all white."

"Oh," was all he said, grimacing as he looked down at his outfit.

"Whatever. It's fine," she said. "We're late." She grabbed his hand and pulled him across the lobby. "Why did you bring this outfit on a cruise anyways? Were you planning on doing a little burgling?"

"It's important to be prepared for anything," he said.

"Do you often get called in for last-minute heists?" she laughed.

"Burglars are not the only people who wear all black," he argued.

"And these other people would be...?"

"Art thieves."

Ty laughed as she pushed through the 'Employee Only' door.

By the time they made it to Level Three Anders was already standing on a table calling for everyone's attention. Ty and Hudson slipped unnoticed into the back of the group while Anders laid out the rules.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen," Anders shouted. He gave everyone a moment to quiet down and once all the attention was on him, he continued. "I'm glad you all could make it. Tonight, we are playing Sardines. Who wants to hide first?"

Everyone began to talk at once. Some people volunteered, others nominated someone else until Nico's voice rose above everyone's. "Well, look at this ladies and gents. We have a new player with us tonight," he said, hopping up on the table next to Anders. "Ty would you like to introduce your friend."

Ty knew inviting Hudson to the game would cause a stir and she wasn't surprised Nico was the first one to call out his presence. "This is Hudson," was all she said. Hudson waved and they both looked back at Nico expectantly to make it clear they weren't sure why he had made such a big fuss. Almost everyone had already met him when he hung out with the crew on The Deck.

"Welcome Hudson," Nico said, spreading his arms out like he was a king greeting his people. "Since Hudson is new, why don't we let him be the first to hide?"

Everyone's attention shifted back to Hudson, including Ty's. She had seen how competitive he was with his brother and the Hamilton group, but she wasn't sure how he was with strangers.

"Sure," Hudson said.

"It's decided," Anders said hopping down from the table and making his way towards Ty and Hudson. "Come on. I'll show you the boundaries," Anders said to Hudson.

"That would be great. Thanks," Hudson said.

But before they moved a few steps Johnny appeared at Hudson's side. "I'll show him," Johnny offered.

Anders and Ty eyed Johnny suspiciously. Ty knew Anders wanted to show Hudson the boundaries to make sure the game was played right. But Johnny didn't really care about the game unless he was able to find some way to work a bet into it.