23

I wrapped Radeon's jacket around me tighter, his cloudy scent hugged me like some kind of invisible comfort. I found myself under the weight of guilt for not considering his feelings. There's so much I don't understand about his species yet.

Phaèryon said humans feel their emotions much stronger but it's the Anokhian who physically display theirs, or rather Anokhian royalty. I still feel my emotions just as strong as before, I wondered if that would change or if I would continue to be different, just as I was on here on earth before the invasion.

I have so many unanswerable questions.

The sun had begun to set and the Archanum had set up their shelters around the pasture like area. I returned to my pile of useless sticks feeling even more drowned than I did earlier, only my focus was less on my own emotions and more on the pain I had inflicted on Radeon without even trying.

I hadn't considered that he might have some pull toward me after he claimed me in the gym that day. I hadn't considered that he was willing to fight to the death against his own flesh and blood for me to stand at his side. I hadn't considered that he chose to bring me back to earth in hopes that it would comfort me. I hadn't considered him at all.

I could see the blue hue glowing against the dry wood infront of me. My emotions were unable to be hidden from anyone. How did the Alpheon's do it? How could they mask their emotions so well?

It's nothing I couldn't try. But how?

I needed to find a distraction. If I Could just focus on one thing and nothing else but that one thing, Maybe I could drown out the emotions, even if it was only for a little while.

I felt a sudden urgency to try. The determination I felt to live after my mother's death filled me once more and I felt a  purpose again, even if that purpose was just one thing..

Build a fire.

I rummaged through the edge of the forest, staying close enough to be seen, as to not cause alarm. I pulled down strands of moss that I once heard was called old mans beard. It was somewhat stringy and would make for good tinder. I held the small bunches on a dry swatch of bark. The inside was dry and can be raked up into a hairy like material that would easily catch fire.

I wandered back to the transport ship, searching for something I could use to make a spark. I opened random compartments, searching for something usable, eventually finding some sort of lazer cutting tool.

Returning to my messy pile of wood, I balled up a nest of tinder and set it aside. I break off smaller twigs from the branches I gathered and make a loose pile of kindling.

I turned on the lazor with a small button on the side and a bright purple beam extruded from the tip about four inches. I pointed it into the small nest of tinder and surprisingly it took quite a while for it to  create a burnt area.

I turned the lazor off and set it down quickly. Bending down close to the tinder I blew on it until it burst to flame. I fed the small flame with little twigs until it grew large enough to feed with bigger sticks and eventually logs.

The fire was going steady now and I felt my skin warm infront of it. It was almost like the fire overtook the yellow glow that my skin radiated out of pride.

Comfort.

I settled in next to the glowing pile of warmth and watched as the sun began to disappear behind the ridge and darkness set in. The entire world behind me was forgotten and I stared into the embers, listening to the crackling of hot coals and wood grains bursting.

"It's nice." Excitement crawled up my spine as I listened to Radeon's low voice speak from behind me.

"It is." I turned my head slightly as I looked back toward him, the orange glow reflected off his jaw. The muscles in his jaw clenched under my gaze. His strong arms were folded as his powerful figure leaned against the thick stump of a fallen tree.

I could feel my emotions stirring again, a sort of tantalizing sensation danced on my skin and I knew my radiant was changing again. I quickly looked away.

"You don't have to hide from me." He stayed put, not moving a muscle even though his words moved through me with such weight. I stayed silent for a moment before speaking.

"How do I control it?" I stared into the fire once more, hoping that this feeling of feathers being dragged across my skin would go away.

"I'll teach you." I heard his footsteps near me. Suddenly he was sitting right next to me and my heart thumped hard in my chest. His eagerness had caught me off guard.

"How?" My mouth was dry and I was beginning to get lost for words as it knees touched.

"Just... Close your eyes." He said slowly with no explanation.

I deadpanned as I turned my body to face his. His purple orbs stayed truthful as he nodded his head for me to close my eyes, so I let them shut lightly.

"Now listen to my voice." He whispered. I imagined the way his lips moved, soft like velvet.

"Tell me what you hear." His breathy voice was making me feel all kinds of things, I only hoped he wasn't as embarrassed as I was at the possible colors shining off me. I tried to forget about it as I focused on the noise around me.

"Embers crackling like glass, an owl hooting in the distance.. Your voice." The last part kindave slipped out. I felt my cheeks get warmer.

"What do you smell." He breathed out again, lower this time so I had to focus harder on his voice.

"Rich dirt, pine, and.. rain. But I think that's just your scent." I smiled.

"My scent?" His thick voice sounded confused now.

"Yeah, you smell.." I spent a few seconds focusing on him. "like a storm, like rain." Each time I smelled it I found myself feeling more attracted to him.

He cleared his throat. I wondered what colors I was showing now, considering that I grew more aroused with each spoken word.

"Tell me what you feel.." His voice was just barely more than a breath as he lightly set my cheek in his hand. His fingers brushed against my skin, electrifying my nerve endings. I could feel the energy along my every pore. He let his soft finger graze the rim of my upper lip before descending. He ran his thumb against my lower lip slightly as it slowly drifted downward, caressing my chin as he waited for an answer.

"Bliss." I whispered.