3. Summer Plans

"Bhaiya!"

Mihir looked up. Ayaan came running into his study. He was grinning broadly, holding something.

"I won, bhaiya!" he said happily, almost tackling Mihir in a hug. "I won the art competition!"

Mihir smiled at him. "That's great, Ayaan! Maine kaha tha na, tera koi muqaabla nahi hai."

"Aur dekho mujhe kya mila hai," Ayaan said. He opened the envelope he was holding and showed it to Mihir. "Internship for the summer! I can't wait!"

Mihir was impressed. The internship was at one of the most prestigious art galleries of the city. Ayaan would really it enjoy there.

"This is amazing, kiddo!" he told Ayaan. "I'm proud of you."

Ayaan smile turned soft. He always felt great when Mihir told him that. His brother had given him everything in life, and there was nothing he wanted to do more than make him proud.

"To mai ye internship kar sakta hoon?" he asked.

"Of course," Mihir replied. "You've earned it. Mom se ek baar pooch lena, okay?"

Ayaan's smile dropped. Mom. He wasn't sure his mom would agree. She rarely allowed him for things like this. According to her, art was a waste of time, and Ayaan should focus on studies instead. Ayaan knew she wanted him to pursue business, but Ayaan honestly hated business, and he hated studying.

Plus, now that he was growing up, Ayaan felt like his mom was trying to control more and more of his life. She was always telling him what to do, what not to do. It was like she was trying to groom him or something.

"Kya hua? Kahaa kho gaya?" Mihir asked.

Ayaan snapped out of his thoughts. "Kuch nahi bhaiya, bas aise hi. Mai Mom se pooch ke aata hoon." And with that, he was running off again, with Mihir yelling after him to not run.

Ayaan went straight to Alisha's room. His mom was looking at some papers but she put them aside when he came in.

Alisha-"Ayaan? Kya hua, andar ao."

Ayaan went in and sat in front of his mother. Alisha didn't seem to be in a bad mood or anything. Maybe she would agree.

Ayaan-"Actually, Mom, you know hamare college mai fest chal raha hai? So there was an intercollege art competition, and I won." He smiled. In his happiness he didn't notice his mother's expression turning angry. "So mujhe prize mai internship offer hui he ek art gallery mai. For the summer. To mai..." Ayaan trailed off as he finally registered his mom's expression. She didn't look happy. At all.

"Art Competition?" Alisha asked, and Ayaan gulped at her angry tone. "Seriously, Ayaan? Are you still a kid ki tum ye sab kar rahe ho? I told you to stop focusing so much on these things. Hobbies ek had tak hi acchi lagti hai."

"But Mom, main-"

"No, Ayaan. Mujhe aur kuch nahi sunna. Tum summer mai koi art gallery nahi jaa rahe ho. Mai tumhe apni hobbies pe saara time waste karne nahi doongi."

Ayaan, dejected, pleaded with her. "Mom, please, I really want to do this. Aur bhaiya ne bhi kaha ki mai jaa sakta hoon."

Alisha's temper flared. She glared at her son. "Mihir ne kaha to decide ho gaya? Is he your parent or am I, Ayaan? Kisi bhi cheez ke liye tumhe mujhe poochna hai, Mihir se nahi, do you understand that?"

Ayaan frowned. What was the big deal if he asked Mihir? He always asked Mihir for everything, like he asked his Mom.

Alisha-"And I don't want to hear again about this art gallery. You're not going there. Chuttiyon mai tum summer school jaa rahe ho. You will do a course on business management. Tum aur Sasha dono."