12. Confessions

Things continued the same way for the next few days. Ayaan was quiet and kept to himself. As he couldn't go out due to being grounded, he mostly stayed in his room and painted or studied. He never came out to spend time with anyone else, least of all with Mihir.

It was driving Mihir crazy. He couldn't for the life of him figure out what was going on with Ayaan. The boy wasn't talking to him properly. In fact, he didn't talk at all unless Mihir spoke first. He stopped coming to his room, stopped coming to greet him when he came back from office and even stopped hanging out with him after dinner. The boy who used to tell him every single detail about his life seeming to be avoiding him now.

Mihir absolutely hated it. Ayaan was the most important person in his life. His changed behavior made Mihir extremely worried and uneasy.

He had tried to talk to Ayaan about it. He was sure there was more to what was going than the Sagar incident. Unfortunately, they'd been interrupted each time, or Ayaan would make up some excuse and escape. Not today, though. Today Mihir was determined to get the truth out of his brother one way or another.

Mihir knocked on Ayaan's bedroom door before he entered. Ayaan was sitting on his bed, using his phone. He sat up. "Bhaiya, aap? Kuch kaam tha?"

Mihir came in and sat in front of his brother. "Kuch kaam nahi tha," he said. "Bas tujh se baat karni hai." Ayaan nodded.

Mihir came straight to the point. "I want you to tell me what exactly is going on, Ayaan. Kya chal raha hai tere dimaag mai. Pichle kuch Dino se kyu tu itna upset hai? And don't you dare tell me you're fine or that tu Sagar ki baat ko leke pareshaan hai. I know there's something else going on, and I want the truth. No more excuses."

Ayana gulped at Mihir's stern tone. He wasn't sure he could resist his brother when he spoke in that tone. He had to think of something fast.

"Er, wo, aisa kuch nahi hai bhaiya, sach mai...actually wo...exams aa rahe hai na...aur padhai bohot hai, isliye bas padhai mai thoda busy hu," Ayaan stammered, avoiding Mihir's eyes.

Mihir narrowed his eyes at him. "Don't try to fool me, Ayaan. You won't be able to. Sach bata de, warna aur bhi tarike hai mere paas sach ugalwaane ke tere se."

Ayaan's eyes widened. Shit. His brother was serious. What could he say now to get out of this situation?

"Bhaiya, mai...I'm really okay, bhaiya. I just figured...it's high time I get it together, you know? I need to focus on my studies, future ke baare mai soch na padega..Ab mai baccha to nahi hu na...that's-that's it. Mai padhai pe focus karna chahta hu. I want to manage my time better. Aur koi baat nahi hai." Ayaan looked down, internally cringing at his pathetic explanation.

Mihir observed his behavior. He didn't believe a word Ayaan had just said. It was just a cover up to hide what was really bothering him, he was sure of that. Before he could say anything, though, his phone began to ring.

It was Ahil. Mihir frowned. Why was Ahil calling him so early in the morning on a Sunday? Mihir picked it up.

"Bol, Ahil."

What Ahil said made Mihir's eyes widen. He stood up. "Kya?"

Ayaan looked up, startled.

"Okay, mai abhi aa raha hoo," Mihir said, then cut the call.

"Kya hua, bhaiya?" Ayaan asked. "Sab theek to hai."

"Wo-there's a problem at the office. Mujhe abhi jaana hoga." He looked at Ayaan. "But I'm not done with you," he said firmly. "We'll talk when I get back, understood?"

Ayaan nodded meekly. "Ji bhaiya." With that, Mihir left.

Ayaan sighed, flopping down on his bed. He hated lying to Mihir.