5. Consequences

Mihir rushed to the college as soon as he could. He was worried. Ayaan had gotten into trouble in college before, but this was the first time he'd been involved in a physical fight with another student. Mihir didn't know the details, he just hoped it wasn't too bad.

He reached the college and went straight towards the principal's office. He found Ayaan sitting outside.

"Ayaan?" Mihir called, going to his brother.

Ayaan turned and got up.

Mihir tensed as he took in his brother's face. He was sporting a couple of bandages, and his nose had obviously been bleeding, although now it seemed to have stopped. Overall it didn't look like anything serious, but Mihir was still anxious.

He touched Ayaan's face."Ye sab-Ayaan tu-"

"I'm fine, bhaiya," Ayaan cut him off gently. "Nurse aayi thi abhi. I'm fine, it's nothing to worry about."

Mihir sighed, relieved to hear that his brother been checked over and cleared by a nurse. But as soon as his worries were dealt with, the anger came.

"Hatha pai, Ayaan, seriously?" he asked in a low, angry voice. The change in tone made Ayaan almost flinch. "Aur wo bhi college mai? What were you thinking? Aisa kya ho gaya ki you had to physically fight with another student, huh?"

Ayaan shook his eyes, looking at Mihir with pleading eyes. "Aap jaisa samajh rahe hi waisa nahi hai, bhaiya. Mai to bas khud ko defend kar raha tha, pehle us Sagar ne mujhe maara."

Mihir stilled, frowning. "Kya?"

"Wo sach keh raha hai, Mihir bhai," Maan's voice cut in. He had gone away to use the restroom. Now he came up to stand beside Ayaan.

Maan-"Ladai shuru Sagar ne hi ki thi." He told Mihir everything-how Sagar had come to them with his assignment, how he had tried to bully them and then finally the fight between him and Ayaan.

Ayaan sulked. "Dekha bhaiya? Galti us idiot ki thi. Aap bekar mai mujhe daat rahe the."

Mihir didn't reply. He was still angry, but not at Ayaan this time. This boy-Sagar Mehta-was obviously at fault here, not his brother. Moreover, the boy had hit Ayaan...and that was unacceptable.

"Kahaa hai Sagar?" he asked the boys.

Ayaan-"Andar office mai Hai. Uske father bhu abhi aaye hai." He hesitated, then asked,"Bhaiya..Mom aa rahi hai kya?"

Mihir shook his head. "Mom maasi ko lene airport gayi hai, abhi nahi aa sakti." Ayaan was secretly glad to hear that. If his mom were here, she would have blasted him off without caring about what really happened.

Just then, the door to the principal's office opened and a woman-his secretary-stepped out. "Mr. Sehgal," she addressed Mihir. "You may go in now."

Mihir nodded. "Chalo," he told the boys and went in.

Inside, Mr Mehta was sitting in front of the principal, Mr. Bhat. Sagar, standing beside his father, glared at Ayaan and Maan, who glared right back.

Mihir greeted the principal and took a seat. The principal said, "First off, Ayaan, Sagar, I am very disappointed in both of you. Aisa behavior hamare rules ke bilkul khilaaf hai. I expected better."

Ayaan looked down. He mumbled a "Sorry, sir", which Sagar repeated.

"Now tell me, why did the two of you fight?" the principal asked.

"Sab Ayaan ki galti hai, Sir," Sagar said immediately. "Main to bas break ke baad apni class jaa raha tha. Ye Ayaan aur uska dost mere paas aye aur kehne lage ki mujhe unke assignments karne hoga. Jab maine mana kiya to mujhe ye Ayaan Peetne laga."