19. Healing

"Bhaiya kahaa hai?"

Alisha frowned. It had been barely a minute since they had come in and the boy was already asking for Mihir.

"Wo yahan nahi hai," she said dismissively. "Anyway, you tell me, what actually happened-"

"Nahi hai matlab?" Ayaan cut in, frowning. "Mujhe yaha chod ke kahaa jaenge wo?"

"I don't know, but he's not here,okay," Alisha said, annoyed. "Stop asking for him."

But Ayaan was getting upset. "Bhaiya sach mai nahi hai? Bulaiye na unhe. Mujhe bhaiya se milna hai."

Alisha grit her teeth. "Tume ek bara bolne se cheeze samajh nahi aati Ayaan? Abhi bhi tumhe Mihir hi chahiye? Even after he let you get poisoned?"

Ayaan started to get agitated. "Ye aap kya bol rahi hai Mom?"

Alisha was about to reply when Sasha stopped her. "Mom, please," she said. "Wo abhi abhi utha hai. Kyu behes kar rahi hai aap usse?" Alisha turned away.

Sasha looked at her twin. "Tujhe bhaiya se milna hai?" she asked.

Ayaan nodded. Sasha sighed. She had never understood Ayaan's bond with Mihir but she did not want to deny him what he wanted now.

"Okay," she said. "Bhaiya yahi hai, I'll send him in." Ayaan nodded again, relieved.

Alisha shot her daughter a look but Sasha took her hand pulled her out. Her mother just did not know when to stop sometimes.

Once outside, Sasha turned to Mihir. "Wo aap ko pooch Raha hai bhaiya," she said. "Mil lijiye usse."

Mihir was glad. Wasting no time, he entered the room.

Ayaan brightened up as soon as he saw Mihir. "Bhaiya!" he called.

Mihir became misty-eyed as he approached him. Seeing Ayaan with his own eyes was a huge relief for Mihir. His child was okay, and he was immensely grateful for it.

Ayaan reached for his hand as he came near. Mihir immediately held it. He placed his other hand on the boy's head. "Kaisa hai baccha?" he asked gently.

Ayaan smiled up at him. "Bilkul theek, bhaiya. Aap hi dekhlo."

Mihir smiled back, gently stroking his hair. "I'm so glad to you're okay kiddo," he murmured, bending down to kiss his forehead.

Ayaan was pleased, but his smile fell when he noticed the redness in Mihir's eyes. His brother looked relieved now but Ayaan could see the lingering stress and fear on his face.

"Maine aapko Dara Diya na bhaiya?" he asked quietly. "I'm so sorry-"

"Are, nahi baccha," Mihir said immediately, "teri kya galti thi, bol?" I'm just glad tu theek hai. That's all that matters."

Ayaan smiled again. That sweet, sincere smile of his that always melted Mihir's heart.

"Tu bas aaram kar, okay? Just focus on recovering."

Ayaan nodded. Then, he asked, "But..I don't remember much bhaiya...hua kya tha? I just ate that food and..."

Mihir's gaze hardened. Now that Ayaan was okay, he could turn his focus to what had actually happened. He was going to find out why the hell the food was poisoned. And make sure that whoever was at fault got punished for it.

"Bhaiya?" Ayaan called, pulling Mihir out of his thoughts.

Mihir looked down at him. "I'm not sure, Ayaan," he answered his brother's query. "But I'll find out. Tu mat soch is baare mai." Ayaan nodded. He knew his bhaiya would take care of it.