7. Changing Relationships

Mihir and Annie were in Mihir's office cabin, discussing something, when the door of the cabin flung open.

Annie and Mihir looked up. There was only one person who walked into this cabin like that. And sure enough, it was Ayaan, grinning as he came in, his college bag slung over his shoulder.

"Hey bhaiya!" he greeted. "Hi Annie Di!"

Annie smiled at him. "Hello, Ayaan." Despite their explosive first meeting, the two of them had formed a sort-of friendship now. They were both so similar-both so bold and outgoing-that in a way they matched each other's energy perfectly.

"Teri college khatam ho gayi?" Mihir asked Ayaan.

"Yup," Ayaan replied. "Juniors ke exams hai. So hamara half day hai." He threw his bag down on the office sofa and slumped down next to it. "Kaise ho, Di?" he asked Annie.

Annie-"I'm good, Ayaan. Tum kaise ho? I heard what happened, how are your injuries now?" Mihir had told her the reason why he had suddenly rushed out of the office yesterday-about what had happened with Ayaan.

Ayaan, unconcerned-"Oh, I'm fine, Di. It takes a lot more than a dumb idiot to phase me. Mujhe to kuch nahi hua, lekin use ghade ki acchi khatirdari ki maine."

Annie, nodding, "Bullies ke saath yahi hona chahiye. Meri college mai bhi ek aisi ladki thi, ek din Maine uski bag mai coakroaches ka dabba chod diya."

Ayaan looked delighted. "Wow, Di! That's so cool-"

Mihir cleared his throat. Ayaan and Annie stopped talking immediately.

Mihir looked at Annie. "Annie, please don't give my brother any ideas."

Annie looked down, flushed. "Er-yes, Sir."

Mihir fixed his stare on Ayaan. "Aand you, very proud of what you did, haina?" Ayaan gulped and looked away. "Waise, agar teri chutti ho gayi hai to tu ghar kyu nahi gaya? Yahaan kya kar raha hai?"

Ayaan-"Uff, kya shuru ho gaye ho mere upar, bhaiya? Itne kyu sawaal kar rahe ho? Aapse milne ka man kiya to aagaya. Kyu, nahi aa sakta kya?"

Mihir suppressed his smile. "Mai aisa thodi kaha? Mai bas yeh keh raha hoon ki ghar jaake thoda aaraam karleta na?"

Ayaan waved him off. "Wo to mai karloonga, don't worry. But mai soch raha tha, kyu na aaj hum dono Baahar lunch karein, saath mai? What do you say?"

It was a good idea. But sadly, Mihir had too much work. He shook his head. "I'm sorry, Ayaan. Aaj bohot kaam hai, I can't come. Mai tere liye khana yahi manga leta hoo. Hum dono Phir kabhi chalte hai."

Ayaan sat up. "Oh come on, bhaiya. Aap ko to har din bohot kaam hota hai. Ek din aap thoda sa break lelogo to yahan bhukamp nahi aa jaega."

Mihir-"Ayaan-"

Ayaan ignored him, turning to Annie. "Aap batao Annie di, aap ko nahi lagta bhaiya ko ek break ki zaroorat hai?"

Annie looked between the brothers. She knew it actually was not her place to say anything, but she wanted to. In the little time that she had worked for Mihir, she had come to greatly admire the man. Not his money or lifestyle, but his values and his strength. He was such a gentle man, yet he was the first man she'd met that could stop her in her tracks. And then, at some point, that admiration had crossed the line into care. She was not entirely sure what to make of her feelings at this stage, so she avoided thinking about them. But she couldn't stop herself from speaking now.

Annie-"He's actually not wrong, sir. You should take a little break. Mai yahan sab kuch sabhaal loongi, aap jayei Ayaan ke saath lunch kar aaiye." She hesitated, then added, "Waise bhi, aap kitne Dino se lunch skip kar rahe ho kaam ki wajah se, you should go out today."