sparks.

sparks by coldplay

The rain poured across the town drenching the cobblestone walkways and tall stone buildings in a blur of old grays and overused blues. The clouds seemed to be angry at the world. They growled as swirls of grays raged around seeming as if its only purpose was to cover the sky and never let light through again.

The cool pattering of the rain across the window made it fog up in a grey that creeped across the panes as if it could steal an extra second of time because maybe, just maybe, if it tried hard enough it would be able to feel something. Anything. Before it faded away into nothingness. 

That's all it would ever be though. 

Nothing.

Her feet were a dull beige that quietly padded around the scuffed wooden floors. The floors were cool to the touch as the slightly rough surface dented by years of life pressed softly against the soles of her feet.

Carefully lifting it up she pulled the record from its sleeve, sliding the delicate thing from its plastic, she placed it onto the record player and picked up the arm. Gently it was placed across the record as it started to spin.

The soft static crackled as it spun lifting every so slightly every few seconds. The crackling of the static blended with the soft pattering against the window and painted the room with delicate noise. The sound was quiet as if it was scared of being heard. The record spun around until a soft melody started playing. 

She turned away from the record and walked over to him, her face illuminated by the soft glow of the muted yellow lamp in the corner. The soft yellow highlighted the planes of her face making her seem as gentle as the fog on the window panes. As if with one brush of the hand she could disappear like the fog. Placing her hands around his neck he gently grabbed her hips and pulled her close. They softly swayed around the tiny cool room as the record crackled every few minutes and the rain drowned the rest of the world away.

He slowly spun her around looking at her as if she was the most vibrant color in this dull damp world. As if she was the only color to ever exist.

Pulling her back in he rested his head atop of hers while they swayed softly listening to the slow melody. Her hair fell upon her back in limp waves of dull brown that swayed along with her behind by only a second. The small crackling fire in the corner did little to warm the room that seemed like it would forever be cold.

The logs burned upon each other fighting for more life. Life that it would never get. The branches crashed upon each other sending a flurry of sparks into the top of the fireplace where they died into a soft grey and then disintegrated once again, crackling like they were screaming for more life, amoungst the logs. 

He spun her around in a slow circle while the material of her thin dress followed her in a desperate attempt to keep up with her. He slowly dipped her and the curls of black hair fell upon his brow darkening his soft gaze into a look of need. He pulled her up gently and placed his hand on her lower back guiding her feet forward.

They continued on as the world starved around them.

It starved for a life it would never get.

The colors once vibrant.

Dulled.

The world yearned to be like the girl dancing with the boy. 

Yearned for their peace,

Just out of reach it was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published: March 16, 2023

Word Count: 607